media file wont play in windows 10

I have tried windows media player, VLC media player, DVD Fab media player and windows 10 player. They all stop playing MP4 ans other types of video. Start and quit video after a few minutes. Restart video file and skip ahead to where it quit. Runs for a bit and quits again. Is there any way to fix this? Is there a media Player that works?

This isn't an answer - sorry.   My problem sounds very similar - thus, thought I'd just add on yours.  It's the Movies and TV app in Windows 10 that concerns me mostly.    I upgraded from Win 7 and had lots of .mp4 .mov .avi and other files all of which have always played fine.    Now, some of the mp4s play, but it seems like my newest ones do not.   Just get black screen and some garbled sound effects as the progress bar moves thru.    I can take the same files over to another machine and they play fine.   Thus, it's not the camera I'm using that's writing corrupt files.   Normally, I can deduce/troubleshoot lots of issues.   This is consistent - files that don't play today, won't play after reboot, either.  Seems like no mp4 newly created is playing.   Only older ones play.    This hasn't been the only anomaly experienced in the Win 10 upgrade (thank you, Microsoft, but I give you about a C- on this).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I have the exact same problem. My video plays fine all all other computers running Windows 7. The windows 10 movie tv app wouldn't play them either. Would start than quit. So I tried other media players vlc media player, dvd fab media player on Windows 10 same problem. Start playing than quit playing. On 4 windows 7 machines they work fine in vlc media player, dvd fab media player and even windows media player in Windows 7 works. I have reverted back to Windows 7. Doing that it messed up my bitdefender virus protection. I'm know missing dll and exe files. So I now in the process of  reinstall  windows 7 and all my software.Not impressed with Windows 10. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, Steven, does Microsoft troll this forum?   I was hoping someone from MS would offer tips or even confide that the product is buggy (imagine an admission like that!).     Instead, I guess they'd rather have us suspect we're the ones with messed up OS environments.

My upgrade from Win 7 to Win10 was mid-August.  The first things I had to troubleshoot related to my version of Photoshop no longer working (may have been unsupported by Adobe, but it worked fine in Win 7 and I had no forewarning that Win 10 would render it useless).    Then I sorted out no longer having permission to edit my own database files.  

So, the video issues are only the latest I'm having to troubleshoot.    Do your older files play?   Or, do none play?    I'm gradually deducing that my MP4s made up to the point of converting to Win10 - so far as I've sampled - seem to play fine.    Again, so far as I've sampled, I'm beginning to think the ones that don't play are those created and/or uploaded from camera AFTER the conversion to Win 10.    This isn't random.  There's got to be some cause/effect pattern in there somewhere.   If this holds true, one wonders what Win 10 is doing to newly uploaded MP4 files that wasn't being done previously.   Since some of the content the Movies & TV app is designed for is purchased, I can't help but wonder if the app thinks I haven't paid the fee for the video I'm creating myself as opposed to downloading from store.    Just a hunch - is this paranoia.    Why else might newly created MP4s differ from those already on the hard drive prior to Win 10 conversion.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I never checked to see if my older video files played.I reverted back to WIN 7. I don't think Microsoft checks the forum. Although you think they would to see what issues or bugs there are. I believe they hope someone would answer with a fix.

You think playing video files would of been something that Microsoft had tested throughly. I bet a lot of us going thru same issues. Microsoft is the powers that be. Believe everyone should conform to them. Bring out product and basically say here it is. Now you make it work with our software.

Microsoft did ask why I was reverting back. I answered  because of unable to play MP4 and other video files. That there WIN 10 did not play my files but all previous versions did. Also listed the other software I tried to play video that did not work.

Should of waited for a year to install WIN 10. Than hopefully they have all the bugs worked out. WIN 10 is new and all other software has to come out with their WIN 10 version of their software. I have a WD  NAS attached and no where on their website is WIN 10 listed. WD lists all previous versions of Windows that it works with but WIN 10 is not listed. This is likely the cade with most software

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi steven stewart 11111,

Thank you for your post on the forum.

I understand that your question is related video playback issues on Windows 10 PC.

I will move your thread to Windows 10 forum where your question will be addressed.

Thanks again for posting!

Kind regards,
Agata J.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi steven stewart 11111,

Thank you for your post on the forum.

I understand that your question is related video playback issues on Windows 10 PC.

I will move your thread to Windows 10 forum where your question will be addressed.

Thanks again for posting!

Kind regards,
Agata J.

thanks doesn't help, get to point what is the solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2023 Views 1,079 Applies to: