Your PC or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly

I have an older computer with an Intel chip that doesn't support WiDi. 

However, after setting up a MiraScreen dongle, I am able to right click media files, click "Cast to Device -> <my device>" and it shows up on the TV with no problem.

But if I press Windows + K for instance, it says "Your PC or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly". So that's pretty dumb. I've searched for a while on that end but I don't think I will be able to go down that path without straight up buying a newer processor. 

Is there an application I can use to essentially 'cast my desktop' in the same way that a single media file can be cast? I cannot imagine that something like that doesn't exist. 

DXDIAG: http://pastebin.com/696qPeC9

|

Hello,

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

What is the make and model of the affected computer?

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue.

I also realize the inconvenience you are experiencing due to Miracast issue. I will certainly help you.

Miracast is a wireless technology your PC can use to project your screen to TVs, projectors, and streaming media players that also support Miracast. You can use this to share what you’re doing on your PC, present a slide show, or even play your favorite game on a larger screen.

This issue may occur due to corrupt or incorrect Miracast settings.

Please refer to suggestions from Arun B J replied on June 7, 2016 and check if it helps.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/i-get-the-message-your-pc-or-mobile-device-does/7bfb5bb2-4147-4b20-b43c-0b3876b9cfc5

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I put this computer together myself about 5 or 6 years ago. Here are some parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield Quad-core 2.93 GHz - my understanding is that this is the main issue with using WiDi/Miracast, since the core is 1st generation and the Intel website says only 3rd generation+ is supported. 

Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX580 (Fermi) DirectX 11

Arun B's suggestion to update drivers is pretty vague. I've at least updated the software on my MiraScreen dongle, and the ability for me to cast videos is pretty convincing to show that it works fine. 

Edit: I should also add my wireless card: Qualcomm Atheros AR922X 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to refer this article and check.
Refer:
Miracast FAQ for Graphics Drivers
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005492.html
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In both my posts I clearly stated that my Intel processor is the reason I cannot Miracast.

My first post clearly stated the desire to look for an option to cast without Miracast. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your patience.

You may refer this wiki article created by Barb Bowman on July 18, 2013 and check.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-pictures/use-non-certified-play-to-devices-in-windows-81/660c16a5-33e8-4a1a-9466-6fa2bfe07956

I hope it helps.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you say you have already established that what you want to do is simply not possible with your present hardware configuration and; as Miracast now is the THE ACCEPTED STANDARD for all Windows computers; you will inevitably have a very limited range of alternatives. Those would seem to be:

a) Use an HDMI cable connection and forget about any wireless alternatives you simply can't run because of your current hardware limitations;

b) Upgrade your hardware in some way, but not to the extent that Windows 10 won't accept that it is running on the same device or your Windows 10 installation will probably be deactivated;

c) Try the only potentially viable option that I'm aware of, which is ChromeCast. - http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

There can't possibly be an Operating System/Software solution that can compensate fully for hardware that doesn't meet the necessary specifications, so if your present CPU really can't cope there is not a lot than can be done about it. 

Finally, a simple internet search for "Miracast Alternatives", using your favoured Search Engine will tell you how few alternatives you actually have; and and lead you directly to independent advice on those alternatives and the positives and negatives of each option.

MJA
Windows Insider, Surface Pro 3, MacBook Pro (VirtualBox + Windows 10)

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I'm starting to consider the cost of a long HDMI cable. 

However, you are starting with the assumption of "the accepted standard". I'm sure there are many people out there with < 3rd gen Intel processors trying to simply wirelessly display their desktop. 

If I can cast a fully HD movie flawlessly to my TV by right clicking and selecting an option.... SURELY there must be a way to "hack" a desktop cast. 

I'll research some more and try to learn something before swallowing a cost of a super long HDMI cable or a new processor. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for responding.

Did you try referring my previous response on August 6, 2016?

Please keep us posted.

Thank you

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2021 Views 99,710 Applies to: