"You can't sign in to your device right now" issue?

My laptop was recently repaired. When I received it it wouldn't allow me to log in with my pin. It said " Your PIN is no longer available due to a change in your security settings on this device". I tried to fix the issue myself with this video https://youtu.be/cVKtQkh1WQE?si=cFkqPdzhw1o5w7jV

My pin is still not

Working and when I sign in using my Microsoft password it tells me " You can't sign in to your device right now"

Hello Naom Mad,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

I understand that you are currently in a situation where you are unable to log in to the system, and I understand your frustration.

Based on your description, I understand that your PIN and account password are both unavailable and that the registry changes you tried in the video did not fix the problem, so you may want to try to see if you can access the system in the following ways:

Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device. Repeat this step 3 to 5 times to allow the device to reboot to the auto fix, and once in winRE, follow these steps to get in:

1. On the Select Options screen, select Troubleshooting - Advanced Options - Command Prompt . In the command prompt that opens you need to be located at this path C:\ windows \ system32.

If you are not in this path at the command prompt, type C: and press [Enter].

Then cd windows\system32 and press [Enter].

Then type ren utilman.exe utilman1.exe and press [Enter].

Then type ren cmd.exe utilman.exe and press [Enter].

Then type exit and press [Enter].

Select "Continue with Windows 11".

2. In the logon screen, click or tap the icon next to the power icon in the lower right corner.

Required! You should now have a command prompt ready.

3. Type net user and press [Enter]. This will list all the users of your PC.

Note that after Administrator is the primary user name. For the sake of example, let's call her aduser.

Type net user aduser* and press [Enter]. It will then read "Type password for user: (typed password will not be displayed)". Press [Enter]. Then repeat the password again and press [Enter].

4. After performing the above steps, restart the PC and enter the password.

If the above solution does not prove to be effective in your case, the last resort solution to fix this error is to perform a Windows 11 reset and choose to keep your personal files.

Note: Keep in mind that this process is different from the Repair Installation process. This process will reset your Windows to its default state and remove any previously created PINs, but everything except personal files (e.g. documents, personal media, etc.) will be removed.

If you have no other choice and you understand the consequences of using this method, follow the instructions below to reset your Windows 11 PC and choose to keep your personal files:

• Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device. Repeat this step 3 to 5 times to allow the device to reboot to auto-repair and enter recovery mode.

• Wait until your PC boots directly into the Recovery menu, then click Troubleshooting from the list of available options. 3.

• In the Troubleshooting menu, click Reset this PC from the list of available options. 4.

• Next, on the Reset this PC screen, click Keep My Files. 5.

• Follow the remaining prompts to start the reset process and wait for it to complete.

At the end of it, your PC will reboot normally and you will be prompted to set a new PIN the next time you boot.

Best Regarts ,

Morning | Microsoft Technical Support Community 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 180 Applies to: