Xbox one WIRED controller does not work on PC,Windows 10

Very simple problem with no solution, My Xbox one wired (not wireless) controller does not work and has not worked for a week.

I tried 3 different controllers on 2 different PC's both windows 10 with functioning USB ports and I have used data sync cables (at least 2) with no luck,Xbox accessories does not work,troubleshooter doesn't do crap,Its very hard to make the driver show up in device manager if I can do it at all. And the times I can make the controller work after a few minutes it keeps disconnecting or just vibrates for a few seconds and dead,there are no solutions I could find,Please help and feel free to ask if you need more info.

Hi ShadowFire474,

An installed program is possibly conflicting with the functionality of the Xbox One controller. I will need more details about your Windows 10 PC. Please verify the following information:

• What is the current OS Build of your Windows 10 PC? Click the Start button, type About your PC, press Enter, and then scroll down to Windows specifications to find this information.
  • Which troubleshooter are you referring to?
  • Are you getting any error messages?

While waiting for your response, I advise updating your Xbox One controller with your PC in a clean boot state. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you update the components required for the controller. For the steps on how to perform a clean boot, kindly refer to this article. Follow the instructions under the section: How to perform a clean boot > Windows 10. For more details, you can watch our YouTube video

. Kindly disconnect the controller prior to performing the procedure and then reconnect it once your PC is in a clean boot state. If you need more information about updating your Xbox One controller, you can check the section: Update via PC from this page.

IMPORTANT: Please go to the section: Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the PC in normal startup after fixing the issue.

We'll be waiting for your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

OS Build: 17134.228

I am referring to the troubleshooter in view devices and printers in control panel

No error messages.

Also clean boot did not work (even with everything disabled in msconfig and ALL tasks on startup disabled)

The controllers firmware has been updated for a while and no new updates have came out.

And this is obvious but the problem has not been resolved yet.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick response. Before proceeding with the rest of the troubleshooting steps, I suggest replacing the batteries of the controller. The procedure below involves modification of the installed device driver through the Device Manager.

1. Make sure that your PC is in a clean boot state to avoid software conflicts.
  2. Click the Start button, type Turn Windows features on or off and then hit Enter.
  3. If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
  4. Make sure that both the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services as selected. These two features are required for the Xbox One controller driver.
  5. If not, select the two features and then click OK.
  6. Restart your PC.
  7. Connect the Xbox One Controller.
  8. Go to Device Manager.
  9. Expand Microsoft Xbox One Controller and then right-click the driver.
  10. Select Uninstall.
  11. When prompted to confirm the removal of the driver, make sure to select Delete the driver software for this device and then click OK.
  12. Unplug the controller
  13. Reconnect the controller and wait for Windows to install the driver automatically.
  14. Go back to Device Manager.
  15. Right-click the controller driver again and select Update Driver Software.
  16. Select Search automatically for Update driver software. Please make sure that you're PC is connected to the Internet.
  17. Wait for the installation to finish.

If the controller issue started after installing the latest updates, I advise that you temporarily remove it to isolate if it's causing the issue. Here's how:

1. Click the Start button, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
  2. Click Advanced options > View your update history > Uninstall updates.
  3. Select the latest update installed and then select Uninstall.

We're looking forward to your response.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Changed the batteries in my controller and did the whole thing with clean boot and the 17 steps and still did not work. Both the NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services were checked i even unchecked and rechecked them. Also when I uninstalled the Xbox driver there was no thing that said "Delete the driver software from this device" it just said Uninstall and Cancel,and I uninstalled.

The deleting the most recent updates thing may work,But the updates only go back to August 10th 2018 (tried uninstalling one that was installed on August 17th 2018) my controller started having problems on July 30th 2018,is there anyway to find the earlier updates?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the issue started on an earlier date and there's no option to remove the update, you can still restore your system to that point in time by performing a System Restore. This procedure will take your PC back to an earlier point in time using a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or update. This will not affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created. Select the earlier

1. Click the Start button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Type recovery in the Control Panel search box.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the most recent app, driver, or update on the list of results, then select Scan for affected programs. You'll see a list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Next > Finish. Or, if needed, select an earlier restore point before selecting Next > Finish.

We'll be waiting for the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response,before I go on with recovery I am going to replace both my data transfer cables because when I was checking them out earlier I noticed in at least one of them there was exposed wiring and the other was deteriorating I wont respond for a few days and Ill let you know the results asap .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We'll be waiting for the results of restoring your computer. You can also try the previous troubleshooting steps in my previous post with the new data cable.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will have to pardon me on this one because the problem was the cable. Apparently both had some sort of problem even though one of them still could charge a headset (maybe the connection wasn't as strong even though its the same type and brand cable?) Sorry for taking a while to respond these cables are almost impossible to find these days for some reason sorry for thinking it was a PC issue but a coincidence like that would seem unlikely but possible for 2 cables to fail but stuff happens.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2024 Views 14,750 Applies to: