xBox One controller and pointer issue? Mouse stuttering, beeping, no click.

If I remove my xBox wireless controller, the problem stops.  The controller can be wired or wireless - the problem occurs either way. Whenever I exit a game, within a few minutes my mouse will start to act strange.  Either I'll lose the ability to click, or the mouse stutters, the computer beeps like mad, and there's no click.  This will ALWAYS happen after a few hours of inactivity (computer does not sleep.)  I'll sit at my desktop first thing in the morning - the mouse is messed up.

When this happens I can't shut off the computer.  Shutdown hangs - I've waited over an hour.  I have to reset.

I see this is a common problem when I searched for it, but there's no solution I can see.  I found the "rollback to previous update" - but I don't have the update specified.  I've tried manually changing the device driver as mentioned in a post.  I've run sfc.

The only options I see are living with this unacceptable mess, going back to Win 7, or giving up playing games on the computer.  Since MS is pushing gaming with Win 10, one would think they could get their own controller to work.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an incompatible issue with the xBox wireless controller and the mouse. I will try to help you in this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• What is the make and model of the pc?

• What is the make and model of the mouse?

• How is the mouse connected to the pc?

• Is the issue specific to this xbox controller and this mouse in particular?

• Have you installed all pending updates and also updated all device drivers on the pc?

Let us try these steps to check if that helps.

Sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and login to the Admin account or the MSA to test if that helps with this issue.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.  Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if that helps. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brand new update from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I built the PC two years ago.

Mouse: Tried with three different Logitech, a Dell and a Kensington.  Wired and wireless.

xBox controller can be connected wired or wireless.

All updates have been installed.

When researching this issue I see that a LOT of people have it. Many areas point to a bad x-device driver.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Brand new update from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I built the PC two years ago.

Mouse: Tried with three different Logitech, a Dell and a Kensington.  Wired and wireless.

xBox controller can be connected wired or wireless.

All updates have been installed.

When researching this issue I see that a LOT of people have it. Many areas point to a bad x-device driver.

I am having the exact same issue and my computer is only four months old. For the longest time I thought my PC was overheating but it turned out to be the Xbox controller. I have had the same issue for the past, I'd say three weeks now and finally I decided to unplug my Xbox controller and play with the mouse and keyboard. Suddenly the lag went away completely. When I plug the controller back in, sometimes it crashes my game I'm playing, and sometimes the lag gets better but still has micro stutters. I think that this is a Microsoft driver issue which I hope they fix soon. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the update and sorry for the delay in replying.

• Were you able to follow the steps provided earlier? If yes, then let us know the status of the issue.

Further, as you have a custom built pc, you may also want to update the motherboard chipset drivers from the oem website to check if that helps in this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi;

It did not help. If I keep the controller or controller receiver plugged in, the issue never comes up.  If I turn off the controller or unplug it, I need to reset my computer.

I have tested it with several games, including ones that use the AMD interface, Uplay, Steam and combinations of those.  For example, The Division uses all three. Fallout 4 uses Steam, or I can use it with Steam and AMD.

I tested it with a wireless controller, wired, a standard controller xBox One and an Elite model.  It does not happen with an xBox 360 controller (wired or wireless) - just with an xBox One controller.

Right now I've resigned myself to playing a game, then shutting down the PC correctly, unplugging the controller, then powering up again.  I usually never shut my computer off. Now I have to do that a couple of times daily.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

As you have mentioned that this issue is specific to this Xbox One controller, you may want to contact the Xbox support here: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/default.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Srimadhwa,

This is a well-known issue and is related to a Windows 10 update (the last few cumulative ones have all contained something that's causing it, I keep uninstalling and blocking the updates, and each time a new one is installed the problem re-occurs). Redirecting to the Xbox forum is probably therefore not the right solution.

Please can you provide an update on this issue? It's been over a month and it's a pretty major bug.

Thanks

Oli

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the reply and update.

I would like to let you know that as we are not part of the Windows Development team, I would suggest you to use the Windows Feedback app to tell Microsoft which features you love, which features you could do without, or when something could be better.

You will also get updated information here: https://blogs.windows.com/blog/tag/windows-insider-program/

Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2022 Views 5,159 Applies to: