Xbox 360 controller wireless receiver driver update doesn't work

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me, I couldn't find a solution for my problem on the internet. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 embedded last week and was in the process to reinstall software and games.

I'm not a big gamer these days so that's why I liked to play with my old wireless Xbox 360 controller from time to time, since I don't use the console anymore. For this purpose I also have the Xbox 360 receiver plugged to my PC. The whole set up was working fine until I did the update. Afterwards when I started a Game the controller was not being picked up. The receiver is a third party product and that's normal as much as I remember.

So I went into Device Manager > Other devices > Unknown device > (right clicked)  Update driver > Browse my computer for driversLet me pick from a list... > Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version (v.10.0.19... first later tried 2.1.0.13...). So I get the warning, where I click yes to install it anyway and then I get the message Windows has successfully updated your drivers and I can see the little Xbox 360 controller Icon and all. Here is where my problem starts because the driver was not installed. It refuses to install it somehow. I tried restarting it and all but the device still is shown without a driver.  

Driver Status before and after the driver update is: No drivers are installed for this device.

I'm out of my depth here. The whole set up was working before I installed the new OS and I haven't moved anything. I checked different forums, for different versions of the driver, on the amazon page of the product if something has changed and the comments of the most known installation video on YouTube

. Nobody except me seems to have the problem.

This is what the Event Viewer gives me: 

Device USB\VID_045E&PID_0291\5&e658374&0&1 was configured.

Driver Name: null

Class Guid: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Driver Date: 

Driver Version: 

Driver Provider: 

Driver Section: 

Driver Rank: 0x0

Matching Device Id: 

Outranked Drivers: 

Device Updated: false

Parent Device: USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&1b824007&0&0

Would really appreciate it if somebody could help me! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

I had my Surface pro 3 lying around which is also running Windows 10 and tried to connect the controller with it. It worked flawlessly. So I'm sure it's not the device but rather a problem with my main PC or it's version of Win 10.   I clicked on update on both machines, Surface is updating to Version 1909 and the main tower to 2004 of Win 10.

Answer
Answer

I found this on YouTube and it helped 

https://youtu.be/SNX2GDzfT6A

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2023 Views 16,745 Applies to: