wow64.dll is missing

Hi and thanks in advance for the help!

So, I'm just learning how to use sysinternals. I've been going through the backlog of the defrag tools videos. While learning about autoruns, I noticed that the following files are missing:

wow64.dll

wow64cpu.dll

wow64win.dll

From what I read that these DLLs do, I think I probably need them. How can I go about getting them? I've tried running SFC, and it came back clean. Thoughts?

Hi Joseph,
Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

From your issue description I understand that you are getting .dll file missing error.

In order to help you better please provide us the following information:
1) What is the exact error message you get?
2) What was the recent change made to your computer prior to this issue?
3) What steps did you follow to run SFC Scan?

To fix the issue with dll file missing you can follow these steps:
Method 1: I would request you to run the SFC Scan again
System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7.
If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash. The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.
Follow these steps:
a) Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.
b) Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.
c) In the command prompt type in the following command ‘sfc scannow’.
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Method 2: Refresh your PC
I would request you to refer to this link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Method 3:
Also check the Event viewer for the error code and cause of the issue.
Follow the steps to open Event viewer:
a. Press Windows Key + X.
b. Click Event Viewer.

For any Windows related assistance in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 17, 2021 Views 4,906 Applies to: