WORD document "Locked for editing." Can't unlock it.

I’m working on a document in Microsoft WORD. I just opened it and it says “Locked for editing.” So I can’t do anything with it, and I don’t know how to unlock it. The WORD program I’m using is I think WORD 2003. At least I know it’s old, but it has been working perfectly all along, as recently as yesterday, but just now it opened “Locked.” How can I unlock it? Thanks for any help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2019 Views 1,476 Applies to:
Hi Pianoman

I´m an Independant Advisor

I found this two possible methods, Please try them.

Method 1: Resave your document as Rich Text Format (RTF)

First, open your locked word document and do a "Save As…" specifying Rich Text Format (RTF). Then open the RTF file. It must look identical to the original Word document. Save the RTF file with a new name as a Microsoft Word format document. That's all. You have sidestepped the read-only lock on your word document.
Method 2: Using Microsoft Script-Editor

First, open your read-only password-protected Word document, and then press [Alt] + [Shift] + [F11] key combination to open the Microsoft Script-Editor. Search for "password" and you'll find something like this:
<w: DocumentProtection>ReadOnly</w: DocumentProtection>
<w: UnprotectPassword>123456</w: UnprotectPassword>
To unlock read-only password-protected Word document, just remove those two lines, and then resave the word document, the protection is gone.

Let me know if this can help you

This was found in
https://www.recoverlostpassword.com/article/unl...

Probably It could be a program so can unprotect your document.

Saludos
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it
Rolando Rosales

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Open Task Manager and 'End task' on all instances of Microsoft Word. You might also have to restart your computer.

Office 2003 is not supported on Windows 10. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work - it might. But if you run into a problem with it, there's no official solution, and there won't ever be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pianoman

I´m an Independant Advisor

I found this two possible methods, Please try them.

Method 1: Resave your document as Rich Text Format (RTF)

First, open your locked word document and do a "Save As…" specifying Rich Text Format (RTF). Then open the RTF file. It must look identical to the original Word document. Save the RTF file with a new name as a Microsoft Word format document. That's all. You have sidestepped the read-only lock on your word document.

Let me know if this can help you

This was found in
https://www.recoverlostpassword.com/article/unl...

Probably It could be a program so can unprotect your document.

That might or might not work, but it’s not possible to do a “Save As,” on a locked document. If you go to “File/Save As” a column on the left says “Save As,” but it is grayed out, so you can’t Save As. So I tried the Keyboard Command for “Save As, which is F12, and nothing happens. You cannot do anything to a locked document, can’t edit, can’t save.

I thought maybe I could make it into a PDF and then convert the PDF back into a WORD document, and get around it that way, but I don’t know how you can make a PDF from a WORD document, except by SAVE AS. Is there a way? Or if I could make it into a PDF I believe there are ways to edit a PDF. But I don’t know how I can make it into a PDF.                                                                                                      

Sorry this didn't help.

You can download a tool so you can print to PDF

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

There you can find the tool

Let me know if this help you

Saludos
Rolando Rosales

Sorry this didn't help.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it
Rolando Rosales

Sorry this didn't help.

please unclock my files

Sorry this didn't help.