WMI Provider Host stopped working and was closed

Using Vista SP2

Only recalled updates recently were to Adobe Reader and Windows security updates up to and including April 15th. Approximately a week ago I began receiving error messages popping up that state:

"Microsoft Windows

WMI Provider Host has stopped working and was closed.

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available"

When you click "Close" <the only option>, another small window pops up out of the bottom tray and when you click it for more information it opens Help and discusses "Data Execution Prevention." I have not changed my Data Execution Prevention settings.

I have shut down a number of times and the problem continues to exist. I clear the messages and they usually reoccur every 10 minutes or so. This problem seems most common with Facebook open.

Can anyone advise what has changed to cause this to start happening and what I should do to correct it?

Answer
Answer

Hi everyone,

You can pinpoint exactly what is causing most issues by following the steps below:

Method 1 : Put the computer in Safe mode and see if the issue persists:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 2Clean boot

If the issue does not repeat in Safe mode, there is likely a startup item or service is causing the issue. Follow the steps found on the following link to pinpoint the item or service causing the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2022 Views 8,843 Applies to: