WLAN autoconfig error 126

Hi, I recently had some HD errors and after running a chkdsk, my computer is back to running speed. However, my computer no longer has wireless internet. That's what was causing the problem before the chkdsk, so it makes sense. I'm trying to get it fixed and back up and running now. 

I've browsed through many articles. Basically, my adapter shows up in network connections with an x. Diagnosing it tells me that it can't run because Windows wireless service is not running on this server. After more searching, I find out that WLAN Autoconfig has yet to be started. When I try to start it, I receive Error 126 "The specified module cannot be found." I've already looked at this question and have tried to do the steps listed on this article but I actually already have a subkey and when I follow the rest of the steps, the value that's in the key is correct.

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!
As
I understand that, you are facing issue with wireless Internet. Try the suggestions provided and check if it helps:

1. Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?
2. Which anti-virus is installed on the computer?

Method 1:
Try to start the wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig service manually. To do this, login to the computer as an administrator.
a. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
b. Locate WLAN AutoConfig service, double click on it to open its properties window.
c. Under General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start button.
d. Click Apply and then ok.

Method 2:
To resolve this issue try using the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe). To do this, follow these steps:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:
You may uninstall and reinstall network adapters and check.
a. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
b. Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
c. Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.
d. Restart the computer, if prompted.

Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.

Now, you may install the latest network adapter drivers and check if that fixes the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Reference links:

“How do I fix network adapter problems?”;http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-fix-network-adapter-problems

Wired and wireless network connection problems in Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/wired-and-wireless-network-connection-problems-in-windows

For more information about the wireless settings, check this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878035.aspx

If you need further assistance, please reply and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Method 1 - I tried it already and got the error message I mentioned in my first post.

Method 3 - Just tried it, didn't work.

Method 2 - I ran it and it came back with a few files it couldn't repair. Some of the error messages don't say where the file is though: "2012-12-15 00:48:22, Info                  CSI    0000007f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"eappcfg.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Extensible-Authentication-Protocol-Host-Peer, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing" Also, the page you linked me to said replace it with a known good copy. Where am I supposed to get a good copy of these files?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

​Hi,

You may refer to the link and follow the steps and check
Error 126: The specified module could not be found when starting a service
The article applies to Windows 7 operating system also.
Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
For more information about how to back up the registry, refer the link:
Back up the registry

Sorry this didn't help.

As I mentioned in my first post, I already went through that article.

"I have tried to do the steps listed on this article but I actually already have a subkey and when I follow the rest of the steps, the value that's in the key is correct."

Am I supposed to delete the subkey then add it back?

Sorry this didn't help.

try this. i had the same issue with WLan and EAP and i fixed it:

(goto Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services) then make sure this services are automatic and started:

CNG Key Isolation.

Remote Procedure Call RPC, and

Remote Procedure Call RPC Locator.

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.

Network Location Awareness.

After u have started all those services and turned as Automatic start up then select

EAP(extensible Authentication Protocol) and right click set it as Automatic,

and start it. and then the same with WLan Autoconfig. if this helped u like it did to me
u can donate here if u feel like it thank you :)  here donate

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2020 Views 8,430 Applies to: