"Wireless association to this network failed" message from desktop computer; all other devices on network are fine

All of a sudden, my Windows 10 desktop computer no longer wants to connect to the wifi router. All other devices (phone, tablet, Windows 10 laptop, MacBook) in the house have no issues connecting.

I've rebooted desktop a couple times, and restarted the router a couple times.

I've run network adapter diagnostics (troubleshooter) and get the message in the subject line.

I've tried updating the driver (Qualcomm QCA9565), but system says I already have most recent driver (although it was only able to look on the computer with internet access).

I've also manually disable/enabled the driver. The driver will initially connect to the router (green bars), but there is no internet access. When running the troubleshooter again after re-enabling, the wifi adapter shows "not connected."

Any ideas? Thanks.

Good Day Tad,

My name is Carlo, I am also using Windows 10 pc and community member like you.Let us work together to sort this out.

Here's the steps you can try.

-Press Windows key + X
-Go to Device Manager
-Expand the Network Adapters
-Look for the Wireless driver that was installed
-Right click and Update
-Look for "Browse my computer for driver
-Let me pick drivers available drivers
-Choose an old driver and use it.

Reset Network Settings
Open Settings.
Click on Network & Internet.
Click on Status.
Under the "Change your network settings" section, click the Network reset option.
Click the Reset now button.
Click the Yes button.

Forget the Network
-Press Windows key + X
-Click Settings
-Click Network and Internet
-Click WIFI then Manage Known Network
-Click your WIFI name and hit Forget.

-Click Start, type CMD and run as administrator
-Copy and paste each of the commands below and hit enter.

netsh int ip reset

netsh advfirewall reset

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Once you entered all those commands restart your computer and try to connect.

If issue persist, let's download the updated driver
What is the exact model of your computer?

To check the system model proceed with these steps.
-Press Windows key + R
-Type msinfo32 and hit enter.
-Look for the System Model and manufacturer post it here.

If you are using a custom built pc look for Baseboard version and Baseboard product and post it here.

I hope the information above helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

Sincerely,
Carlo T.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the advice Carlo.

I ran through the steps you suggested, but it is still not connecting to the internet.

I did find an older driver and installed it. It is the same version that is on Dell's website for this adapter. The one I was using was two years newer.

I reset the network.

I forgot the network, then added it again using same settings as my laptop (which works fine on this wireless network).

I ran the various commands from the prompt, as administrator.

I wasn't able to run the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /reset commands. I got the following message when trying those.

"No operation can be performed on Wi-Fi while it has its media disconnected."

I am running a Dell Inspiron 3650. I have been using this machine for about 3 years without any problem on this network. I did not install any new software yesterday. This problem just came out of nowhere (at least it seems so to me).

Tad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good Day Tad,

I appreciate your time getting back to this thread, please proceed with these steps.

-Press Windows key + X
-Go to Device Manager
-Expand the Network Adapters
-Look for the Wireless driver that was installed
-Right click and Uninstall.

Using a different computer, go to this link, download the Wireless driver installer and save it in a USB

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER05736979M/4/Intel-316...

Once you downloaded the driver, install it on the computer that cannot connect to the internet

Restart once done and check the connection.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

Sincerely,
Carlo T.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried to install the new driver you suggested, after uninstalling old one.

I'm getting a popup message from Intel that says "This software package cannot be installed on your system."

At the bottom of the window, it says "Please resolve these errors and retry installation."

I wasn't sure what the error was, but the return code was 104. A quick search indicated one possible explanation, which was that was a driver for 32-bit machine and mine is 64-bit.

In any case, I searched for a new driver and found Dell-Wireless-1707-Qualcomm-9565-WiFi-and-Bluetooth_46G81_WIN_10.0.3.462_A18_01. Installed that one and it seemed to do the trick, at least for now. Thanks for your help.

Tad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2023 Views 931 Applies to: