wininet.dll

I did a system restore, back a few weeks,  on my laptop because of a problem I was having with AVG. I had nor had any problems before talking the 2011 update for AVG. After the system restore I now get  'explorer unable to locate component' 'application failed to start because WININET.dll was not found"

The result is that I don't have task bar so I can't undo the system restore I did and I don't have  desktop icons.

Is there a way to undo the restore I did? or repair the WININET.dll I really need help. In plain English as I am not a tech.

you can email me directly at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2019 Views 5,642 Applies to:

Get into safe mode with networking.

As the computer is bootingrepeatedly tap F8 which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with networking" and press your Enter key.

Download wininet.dll from here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wininet

Save the download to C:\WINDOWS\system32

Restart the computer and check the result.

Hope this helps

Post back if needed

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

MCC 2011
"Humans control tech that controls tech, allowing progress, innovation & opportunity that makes the world a better place" © 2016 NWC

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean you see a message like this:

Explorer.EXE - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Things may not be as bad as they look, answer these questions first:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

There is no emailing directly in these forums but you should be ale to get going again.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

wesley.chin, I do not understand your post at all.  Now in your profile, you sound like a nice guy with a good, compassionate heart, but I don't get this at all.

If you were to boot your system into the XP Recovery Console and delete your wininet.dll file on purpose, then reboot you would see the problem that scuba4mom has.

Then if you were to follow your directions and boot into Safe Mode with networking, things would look even worse since there will now not even be a background image (wallpaper).  That is even scarier when all you see is an empty black screen with "Safe Mode" showing in all four corners.

The problem is that if the wininet.dll file is missing, Explorer will not start.  The system can still be fixed though.

If anyone is interested, you will not start Explorer from Task Manager either.

If Explorer will not start, you need to come up with some better instructions on how to get on the Internet and download some unknown wininet.dll
file from some third party site and install it on your system.  Safe Mode with Networking is not it.  How would you do it?

Remember...  if Explorer is not running, there are no desktop icons and no Start button - just the background image (wallpaper).

You could still get in the Internet without your Explorer running though and download that ZIP file from that site with the wininet.dll file in it, but you would not get far after that - no, I'm afraid you would not get far at all without Explorer running.  Try it.

Next, let's say by some magic you were to actually download that wininet.dll file from the site you recommend and take a look at it, you will see that it is not a Windows XP SP3 version of the file.  As a matter of fact, I don't even know what version it is and am not going to figure it out, but I did actually try it anyway to see how it works.

If you then follow your directions and install the downloaded file into the c:\windows\system32 folder and reboot, you will end up with just a flashing
desktop which is now a totally different problem... so somehow that is just not what we need here for this issue.

There is also no need to download any files from the Internet.  There are good copies of the wininet.dll file in other places on the system so you should use them to just cop and replace the missing file and not download some unknown files from some Internet site. 

You can replace the missing file by using Task Manager.

If you have never seen the problem before, before jumping in to post a reply with a helpful effort, at least try to recreate the problem on your own system so you can actually see it.

If you think you have an idea how to fix the problem, apply your idea to your own system first and at least be sure it works on your system.

Then when you figure out how to fix the problem, post up those instructions.

So your first idea will not help, so do you have another idea that will help?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had experienced the same problem in the past. I did not intentionally delete the file at the time. The suggestion made had worked for me at the time. Of course, every system configuration is unique.

In the course of researching this problem, I have come across one link. It may help or not:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/wininet-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Hope this helps

Post back if needed

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

MCC 2011
"Humans control tech that controls tech, allowing progress, innovation & opportunity that makes the world a better place" © 2016 NWC

Sorry this didn't help.