\windows\system32\config\system file deleted - outdated system file in repair - how to re-create the system file?

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell D830 Latitude laptop, and have been successfully for years.

Suddenly booting reveals the dreaded "c:\windows\system32\config\system file missing or corrupted" error.

Ran chkdsk c: /r from the Recovery Console, and chkdsk ended up deleting my c:\windows\system32\config\system file, where bad sectors probably resided.

Copied the c:\windows\repair\system file (dated 10-05-2007) to c:\windows\system32\config\system, but now it asks me for a password I have no idea what it is, probably an ancient one I have long forgotten.

What can I do to recover my environment?  I have a lot of data that has been modified since my last backup two days ago, and I don't want to lose any of it.  Thoughts?  Have spent a lot of time Googling the past couple of days, but nothing seems to help.

Thanks,

Noji Ratzlaff

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Answer
Answer
You can find a backup copy of your System registry file in with the System Restore points saved in the 'C:\System Volume Information" folder.  Normally this directory is fairly well protected and hard to get into.

By far the simplest way to restore your registry is to create a Hirens Boot CD
   < http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ >
   < http://www.hirensbootcd.org/burning/ >

then boot your machine from this CD.  Select "Mini Windows XP" and when Windows comes up, use the Hirens CD Menu to select:
   Registry Tools -> Registry Restore Wizard
This wizard will find the registry files from the restore points and copy them back into the proper place in your Windows folder (including your c:\windows\system32\config\system file).

HTH,
   JW

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 1,609 Applies to: