windows/fonts "font file names" column empty for MANY fonts

I was looking at fonts in C:\Windows\fonts and decided to sort by the column "Font file names" (might have to enable the column, not sure if it is on by default).  I have what looks like 100's of files that have no filename listed.

I have seen these before, but thought they were variations or fonts in a "TTC" type file that shared the same file with other fonts in the same family or such.  But when I sorted by filename, I found tons of files that showed no path, but were simple files in the C:\Windows\Fonts directory.

It seems that if a Font family, shown in the windows font display is split among 1 or more files, the 'filename' column is also blank.  Does anyone know how to have it display *any* of the filenames?  Ideally, it would show the file for the main-font (regular or medium width -- like filename with no "adjectives" on it).

Two examples: "7th Service" having a main file of 7th.ttf + italics in 7thi.ttf would, ideally, show 7th.ttf.

"A Charming Font" would show "A Charming Font.ttf", ignoring variants for expanded, italic, leftleaning, outline, and superexpanded (all separate font files).

Not that groundshakingly important, but mostly curious if builtin font-page could be more helpful.

FWIW, it is easier to locate filenames if you also open an explorer window aside the normal font-display window w/address \\localhost\c\windows\fonts (assuming you allow yourself to read your file system from the local system :-)). 

Thanks!

|

Hi,

To isolate your concern, was there an update that was made on your computer prior to this issue?

We look forward to your response.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Prior to what issue?

Does it display a source file for all of your fonts?  (that would be surprising to me).  I don't know if it ever displayed the source file for a font that was split into more than one file.

In my case, I had a fontname displayed that had 2 variations, "regular" and "italic".  In the column where a source file could be displayed, it displayed nothing.  When I looked in the \Windows\Fonts directory using the \\localhost\windows\fonts pathname, I could see 2 files for the listed fontname -- 1 was a file containing the regular ttf font, and the 2nd was a file containing the italic ttf font.  So the fontname displayed on the "fonts" page (seen under 'C:\Windows\Fonts') was a combination of 2 files.  I am guessing, but it seems that because it was more than 1 file, it displays "zero" files in the source-file column.

My question was whether or not there was a way to get that source-file column to display **ANYTHING** -- the 1st file found, or the file for the regular-version of the font, or even the last file found (in my case, that would display the name of the file for the italics variation).  Displaying _anything_ would be more useful to me than displaying nothing...

Does that make it any more clear?

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

To further improve the service, give us your feedback at this link to inform the programmers that there's a feature that needs to be addressed.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

In other words, there is no way I will ever see a way from Microsoft, to do this in Windows 7 (or likely most any other version).

I used to submit suggestions once in a while when I thought MS might actually want to know how to improve -- but never once was anything done or responded to.   

Even outright bugs in products that I conferred with developers on in outlook were not fixed -- but was told to "upgrade" to latest -- stupidly, I did, and the same bug was present in the new product. 

Now, even amidst tons of people asking for the Win 7 desktop to be revived -- and enhanced, MS refuses.  When I need a new computer, I want one that will be at least as attractive as the one on Win7 -- I don't want one that was dumbed-down for hand-held devices.  I cheered when Bill Gates demo'd the glass and 3D effects with him saying it was the beginning of using more advanced 3D paradigms to display and control the desktop... then he retired and Windows direction went to stark, ugly utilitarian. 

I *thought* I might be able to eventually buy Win10 if I got an Enterprise edition -- but just learned I'd also have to buy 5 licenses AND a ongoing support contract.  Thud. 

I want a desktop and OS that's at least as powerful and allows the user at least as much control as I have now w/Win7-Ultimate.  

I want ALL of the features I have now + new things -- that's how it is supposed to be -- you sell me a *better* product that does everything my old one does and more.  The idea that I have to give up all the features I use is sickening.

I use Group Policy & run my own Domain at home because I wanted single signon.  I use Win7 as my desktop and use a linux-server as my backend, initially with with the two connected w/a *team* of 2 10Gb network port on a dual-port Intel card -- hoping to operate the two computers as one in a type of cluster.  I'm now told that Win10-home clients won't be able to use network card teaming -- Intel's cards/drivers no longer work on Win10 for teaming and am told that it won't be fixed.  If MS really wanted to help -- they'd install the SMB3 networking on Win7 -- then I might be able to use part of my 20Gb interconnect (which, due to SMB2 limitations is limited to about 1.6Gb/s

This is all going *backwards* -- desktop, usability, higher-end hardware support -- I don't want to go backwards.

But I see no way my telling a suggestion link is going to help when 100's of thousands of other voices have already said the same and have done so for years.  The result -- MS has wandered further and further away from what consumers want -- and heavily away from what Computer Scientists (like me) want.

I voted w/my pocket book when Win7 came out and required Win7 Ultimate as the OS.  Seems the best Win10 offers is a crippled home edition.

Pointing me at a 'feedback link' as a solution for a Win7 design flaw just doesn't cut it as a "solution", sorry.  Too bad Gates left -- at least he had a consumer vision.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 430 Applies to: