WindowsApps Folder Permissions

After more work than I'm willing to admit, I managed to acquire almost full access to the WindowsApps folder. My issue now is that while I can overwrite and copy files (except for executables, for some reason) from the folders within (such as \Microsoft.ScreenSketch_10.2008.2277.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ and all files inside of it), I am unable to add new files. I'm attempting to mod a game from Gamepass that doesn't have mod support, but it requires that I add additional files to the directory. I've managed to transfer ownership of the WindowsApps folder and everything within to my user account, but I am still unable to edit permissions on most files. The executable files are locked-down even more than the others, as they have security permission inheritance disabled and cannot have their permissions edited at all (they claim to be corrupted, but quite clearly are meant to be this way), nor can I create new user permissions. I eventually got tired of all this, and just decided to copy all the files on to a Linux VM and just use Wine to run the game, and since it would be Linux I could edit files as I pleased. Come to find out, I can't copy the executables. As previously stated, they have inheritance disabled and I can't edit their UAC at all. I have full administrator permissions, yet everything in this folder seems to ignore this. Even an elevated Powershell can't edit anything.

The fact that Microsoft locks down these files so much is really quite annoying. I am yet to find any example of someone managing to do much of anything with the WindowsApps folder beyond what I have managed to do. Administrator means nothing if I don't have full access to my device. I hate that Microsoft locks me out of parts of my own PC.

Any help is appreciated, but I'm not very optimistic that anything can be done.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi EC. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor, here to help you until the problems are fixed.

See ways to take full control of WIndowsApps folder:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsap...
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-acce...
https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/61786...
https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsap...
https://www.techilife.com/how-to-take-control-o...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ7VrGldgW0

Shawn confirms in Ten Forums thread above that Take Ownership should work. You can install this handy Take Ownership shortcut on your right click menu, to use in cases like this on files and folders which won't cooperate:
https://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option.... The only warning is to not use it on C:\Windows folder files as this will compromise security.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The only way I know of that works natively within Windows, is to use IObit Unlocker.

After it's installed, just right click on the file you wish to move and select the IObit Unlocker shell extension.

At the next screen, press the drop arrow next to 'Unlock' and select 'Unlock & Move' (or copy), browse to and select destination, and you're done.

https://www.iobit.com/en/iobit-unlocker.php

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Were you going to reply to my post which listed all ways to take control of WindowsApps folder in case you'd missed some of them? There is no way I could know if you'd tried them all unless I gave you them as a checklist. You said you'd appreciate any help, and that's much more than you would have gotten in any consumer forums.

As I said, Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Greg Carmack
Volunteer Moderator
Windows MVP 2010-20

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already have access to the WindowsApps folder. I can view the files and folders within, as well as copy (with the exception of .exe files) and overwrite them. What I am currently unable to do is copy the .exe files or add files to the subfolders of WindowsApps. I assume this is some sort of "security" feature, but it prevents me from using my system how I would like to. I need help with both of these, but I'd prefer help on copying the executable files, as it would also solve my other problem.

I've attached the image of the UAC. It claims that the access control entry is "corrupted," but I know it isn't. I would create a new entry, but as shown by the grayed-out buttons, I cannot do so, nor can I remove the "corrupted" entry, despite being an administrator. The take ownership method doesn't help here, as I already have ownership (as shown in the image). Due to Windows thinking that the entries are corrupt, I am unable to edit any of their permissions. I am also unable to enable inheritance on the file for some reason.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While IObit Unlocker seems like a useful tool, it unfortunately didn't solve my issues in this case. It shows the folders as already being unlocked, and trying to unlock them anyway doesn't change anything, as I'm still unable to add files or copy .exe files. I tried selecting an executable file specifically and using the "unlock & copy" feature, but it gives me an error saying "unlock & copy failed". Using forced mode didn't solve this either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanted you to make sure you had the fullest possible control over the folder which those tutorials give. Without that then you won't be able to make the changes you need, and it's likely if you want to modify proprietary games you are not going to do much anyway.

The folder has very high security because it contains closed source software for apps whose authors don't want modified beyond certain parameters. Otherwise you'd have to have a very high level of developer skill to do much more than tread water with those permissions.

I do not see User Account Control output, just the Advanced Security permissions boxes. There are known fixes for greyed out UAC buttons but I'd need to see them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My bad, wasn't entirely sure what to call it. I searched up how to fix the grayed-out UAC buttons, but every solution is either to change ownership, which I've already done, or to disable inheritance, which it already is. In fact, everything within the subfolders of WindowsApps seems to have "corrupted" entries, grayed-out buttons, and inheritance disabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've asked another Moderator who is a skilled developer what's the likelihood you'll ever be able to mod games via the WindowsApps folder. I'll let you know what he says. But I'm pretty sure it's locked down against exactly that. It's also frequently a PITA when trying to move apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately it seems that the permissions must now be very messed up if Unlocker isn't working. My WindowsApps folders have never had permissions changed.

I use 7-Zip File Manager run elevated to explore, copy from or delete from the WindowsApps folder.

With Unlocker I can move any type of file into any WindowsApps folder/subfolder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, thanks. I'm not very optimistic, but I've got to hope there's a way. I do have a "nuclear option" of sorts that has a very high likelihood of success, but it involves a bunch of work and time that I'd rather not spend, so it's more of a last resort.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2024 Views 2,375 Applies to: