Windows10 - USB HUB Power Management

Hi,
I've seen the problem same Jeff mentioned below on the latest Windows10 version when I plug USB flash drive to the HUB that use USB2412 chip. (No issue found if direct plug to the host PC).

You can see post from Jeff on below link:

One solution that I've tried and seems the issue was solved is to unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" in HUB Power Management (inside Device Manager, Generic USB Hub) as shown below.

My question is, 

1. Why uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" can help to eliminate the above issue?

2. Is there other solution to fix this issue? Does Windows10 have new driver patch to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Somsak

Hi Somsak, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

Unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" can often fix issues with USB ports, as depending on the hardware involved there can sometimes be problems using the USB ports again after they've entered power saving mode.

This is the most likely solution to this problem because it stops Windows from powering down the USB ports and keeps them active at all times, making sure there's no sleep mode issues.

Hopefully that helps! Please let me know if you need any further information. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry missing link for the issue that Jeff mentioned, here it is...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/remounting-ejected-usb-flash-drive-in-win-10/7ce37983-ace2-4b6d-89aa-a186a9513933

Also the hub power management that I uncheck and not see the above issue is show here...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Graeme,

By checking the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power", I see two different result. If I eject at Windows Explorer, I did not see any issue. But if I eject at system tray, the ejected port cannot function anymore (until I power cycling the PC or USB HUB). Is there a solution to make ejecting at system tray same as eject at Windows Explorer?

Thanks again.

Somsak

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2020 Views 1,536 Applies to: