Windows xp won't Let me Activate; WAS ALREADY ACTIVATED!!

I have what appears to be a not uncommon problem.  My PC is far from new but worked well until I performed an anti-virus scan using a new tool called "Malaware", which was recommended to me (and which I now wish I'd never heard of!) I tried to re-boot and was locked out of my computer, the message was that I had to activate windows before I would be allowed to log in.
To be clear: this is a legitimate version of windows which I have been using for years. I tried everything to activate but was told that my "key" wasn't recognised. Followed all instructions faithfully, tried repeatedly, nearly went mad. Eventually a friend found a temporary bypass  ("regsvr32") but that only gives me 30 days grace, and I now have only 8 days left to activate. So angry about this, my PC was bought and paid for, and Windows was already activated and running for years. Any advice much appreciated.

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

If Internet activation doesn't work, then see the section titled: "How to activate Windows XP by phone".
Also check that you do not confuse product key numbers and letters
(number 8 can be mistaken for the letter B, Etc.)

===================================================================

Blank Activate Windows page in the Windows Product Activation Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314935

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/950929/en=us

Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx
(This site is for Volume License Activation but if you call they will help you)

The phone number you called does not work:
Microsoft Worldwide contacts: http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/default.aspx

After Windows is Activated / Genuine Advantage Notifications:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=afd45b36-3d77-4259-801c-d31a9a90cdcf
(This tool will confirm that the copy of Windows installed on the PC is genuine and properly licensed)

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have what appears to be a not uncommon problem.  My PC is far from new but worked well until I performed an anti-virus scan using a new tool called "Malaware", which was recommended to me (and which I now wish I'd never heard of!) I tried to re-boot and was locked out of my computer, the message was that I had to activate windows before I would be allowed to log in.
To be clear: this is a legitimate version of windows which I have been using for years. I tried everything to activate but was told that my "key" wasn't recognised. Followed all instructions faithfully, tried repeatedly, nearly went mad. Eventually a friend found a temporary bypass  ("regsvr32") but that only gives me 30 days grace, and I now have only 8 days left to activate. So angry about this, my PC was bought and paid for, and Windows was already activated and running for years. Any advice much appreciated.

You could try posting the issue on the Emsisoft Forum and see what they have to say. Maybe it's a known issue: http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/56-other-emsisoft-products/

As for the MalAware application itself, it only scans for malware. If it finds any, you'll be offered the opportunity to purchase their AV package to remove it, but the tool won't do that on its own.

What you can try doing now is to run System Restore and wind back the clock to a time prior to running the app.

To do that, proceed as follows:
  1. Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
  2. Click "Restore my computer to an earlier time: and then click Next.
  3. From the calendar which appears, choose a date prior to installing the application and then click Next.

Windows will take a few mins to run after which the system will reboot. Provided the Restore was successful, you'll see a message to that effect.

Next, go to Start, Run and type: winver and click OK. You should see a window with your name as the registered user.

If you haven't got the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows key + R instead.

For free AV install Avast and Malwarebytes. Both are excellent products and don't interfere with each other.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for responding, J W. I've tried contacting Microsoft in every way, including live chat. Usually they just send me in a loop; when I finally managed to 'chat' online with a real person I was told that Microsoft would charge me $99(!) to 'fix' an issue that is none of my fault, with no guarantee of a permanent result. If nothing else, this exchange of emails gave me a clue as to why some people are resorting to piracy and illegal usage. No help there, I'm afraid.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Xircal. I'll certainly try your 'system restore' suggestion, although I have to say my hopes aren't high; I seem to recall other people trying that without success. Will also try emisoft, keep you posted re results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Xircal. I'll certainly try your 'system restore' suggestion, although I have to say my hopes aren't high; I seem to recall other people trying that without success. Will also try emisoft, keep you posted re results.

Hi Pearguy,

Here's an alternative approach in case it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-gb

However, be aware that when you navigate to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Notify that there'll only be a default value in the right hand pane.

The RESETS subkey will be a folder and will be located under the "Notify" tree.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again Xircal,
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to try as many options as possible before reporting back. I spent more hours than I want to think about searching all over the web and, the bottom line is that so far nothing has worked. There are various hacks and bypasses but consensus seems to be that none are permanent fixes and some are likely to do more harm than good. As one guy put it
"..basically you're trying to beat Bill at his own game, and he didn't get to be a multi-billionaire by losing at it".
The activation pop-up is still appearing with tireless efficiency counting down the days of usage left to me; down to 3 now at time of writing; It reminds me of one of those nightmare car alarms that can't be turned off once they start; I get the feeling I could atomize this pc and that damned reminder would still appear..
System restore won't work, and I've no way to know if that fact is to do with the activation issue or not. I tried it twice, choosing two different restore points, and each time when Windows re-booted itself I got the activation pop-up, followed by the message "System restore failed..." No explanation, Didn't want to waste more precious remaining usage time on abortive restore attempts so I did some googling to see if there's a system restore fix and discovered that - apparently  - XP is known for having problems with the restore tool.
Microsoft support didn't help, they just keep asking for money and/or sending me round in circles.
Truth is that I simply don't know enough about computers to know what I'm doing or looking for. A friend of a friend has offered to bypass the issue for me. No idea yet how successful it will be but, assuming it's legal (ish) I'll post the results when I get my pc back.
To be honest I'm now so fed up with Microsoft that the imminent XP support cessation is almost a relief as it's given me the boot up the backside that I needed to try Linux. Don't know how I'll get on with it, some say it's a bit of a shock to the system making the jump, but I've never actually heard anything bad about that OS.
Anyway, thanks again for your input mate, I genuinely appreciate it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again Xircal,
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to try as many options as possible before reporting back. I spent more hours than I want to think about searching all over the web and, the bottom line is that so far nothing has worked. There are various hacks and bypasses but consensus seems to be that none are permanent fixes and some are likely to do more harm than good. As one guy put it
"..basically you're trying to beat Bill at his own game, and he didn't get to be a multi-billionaire by losing at it".
The activation pop-up is still appearing with tireless efficiency counting down the days of usage left to me; down to 3 now at time of writing; It reminds me of one of those nightmare car alarms that can't be turned off once they start; I get the feeling I could atomize this pc and that damned reminder would still appear..
System restore won't work, and I've no way to know if that fact is to do with the activation issue or not. I tried it twice, choosing two different restore points, and each time when Windows re-booted itself I got the activation pop-up, followed by the message "System restore failed..." No explanation, Didn't want to waste more precious remaining usage time on abortive restore attempts so I did some googling to see if there's a system restore fix and discovered that - apparently  - XP is known for having problems with the restore tool.
Microsoft support didn't help, they just keep asking for money and/or sending me round in circles.
Truth is that I simply don't know enough about computers to know what I'm doing or looking for. A friend of a friend has offered to bypass the issue for me. No idea yet how successful it will be but, assuming it's legal (ish) I'll post the results when I get my pc back.
To be honest I'm now so fed up with Microsoft that the imminent XP support cessation is almost a relief as it's given me the boot up the backside that I needed to try Linux. Don't know how I'll get on with it, some say it's a bit of a shock to the system making the jump, but I've never actually heard anything bad about that OS.
Anyway, thanks again for your input mate, I genuinely appreciate it.

Hi Pearguy,

It can be a bit of a jungle if you're a novice I must admit. I was in that position myself once upon a time and I know how frustrating it can be.

Anyway, Windows stores its activation data in two files called wpa.dbl and wpa.bak. The latter is just a backup file, but both are located in C:\WINDOWS\System32.

Before going any further, you need to verify that Windows is configured to show file extensions. Proceed as follows to do that.
  1. Hit Windows key + E to launch Windows Explorer.
  2. Click "Tools" at the top and then click "Folder Options" in the menu which appears.
  3. In the next menu which appears, click the "View" tab.
  4. Verify that "Show hidden files and folders" is checkmarked and "Hide file extensions for known file types" is not checkmarked.

Here's a picture of how they both should look.

If you have to change them, click Apply/OK afterwards to exit.

Next,
  1. Hit Windows key + F to launch the Search tool.
  2. Type or copy/paste: wpa.dbl and click Search. 
  3. Right click the file and choose "Open containing folder".
  4. Close the Search tool because you don't need that anymore. 
  5. Right click the wpa.dbl file and go to Properties.
  6. In the Properties menu, click the "Security" tab. 
  7. In the top menu, you'll see a list of users. Click the "SYSTEM" user to highlight it.
  8. Are all the boxes checkmarked for the SYSTEM user or are some of them blank? If some are blank, which ones are they?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if any of these links may help but you could try and see

Genuine advantage issues sometimes occur so here are some links for resolving that issue as sometimes occurs.  Here are some validation links

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/     download plugin

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/genuine-validation.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 9,060 Applies to: