Windows XP - Scan and Fix disk errors

I have been using Western Digital Passport Essential external hard disk which comes with a password security software.
Recently I could not open the main folder after I logged on with my password.  When I click on the main folder, the pointer changed to a circle and continue going round and round non-stop for a long time but could not open the main folder in which I store all my files (fotos, documents, pictures etc).
I then tried to use WinXP Disk Check to scan and fix bad sectors but could not do it because once right-click on the main folder (which is also the external HD drive) the pointer immediately changed to a circle and continue to going round and round not stop.
Please advise whether there is anything in WinXP that can help me open this main folder?  If there is none, then I will lose all my data in this hard disk.

I have contacted WD tech support but they could not help me to retrieve my data or open this main folder.  They said I can send my WD hard disk back to them in exchange for a new one.   However, I need to retrieve my data before I send back to them.  Otherwise, all my data would be gone.

They said that my data is not under their warranty.  They told me that I could have my data retrieve by their agent (or client or something) at a fee and they gave me a contact number to call them. I called them but was told that I have to pay between S$800 to S$2,000 to have my data retrieve from this WD corrupted external hard disk.  I am not going to pay such costly price for the data to be retrieved.

If there is no way I can use my WIN XP or perhaps WIN-7  to retrieve/open this main folder, then can WIN XP format this folder so that all my data are deleted before I sent the WD hard disk to Western Digital Company for a replacement of the hard disk?

Please advise.

thank you

glemel

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2019 Views 1,792 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

To encrypt an entire portable hard disk with Truecrypt (I assume that this is not a bootable disk -- i.e. it is a data disk and it does not contain an operating system), you follow the instructions for encrypting a "non-system partition/drive".  In the "Truecrypt User Guide.pdf" file (likely installed in:

"C:\Program Files\Truecrypt\Truecrypt User Guide.pdf" )

the instructions are given at the bottom of Page 25.  In the online documentation,  click on "Beginner's Tutorial" and look at the end of the very last page.

< http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/tutorial5 >

Look for a paragraph titled "How to Create and Use a TrueCrypt-Encrypted Partition/Device"

Basically it is the same as creating a container file, but instead of clicking "Create an encrypted file container" on the first screen after clicking "Create Volume", you select "Encrypt a non-system partition/drive".

I must admit that I have not performed this myself.

-- JW

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Normally, there should be a space between the G: and the /R.  However, it seems that this command executes just as well if the space character is omitted.  It should start the tests fairly quickly.  the long delay indicates to me that Windows cannot mount the drive correctly and therefore can't access it.

So it seems that something very wrong has happened to your drive.  It doesn't look good.

--JW

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.