windows xp performance issue loading some web pages very slowly, don't believe this is an IE8 issue, see why I say that below.

There are many web sites that take extreemely long to finish loading, or even start loading.  Many others, microsoft.com and google.com, load just fine.  Here are a few of the sites I have trouble with.

Do not beleve this is a IE8 issue because I have the same problem using a fresh install of Google Chrome, and a 2nd pc also xp with IE8 loads these web sites just fine.

http://askbobrankin.com/microsoft_office_alternatives.html?awt_l=IZExh&awt_m=J81CaTa868P6SL  header loads right up, bottom takes 25 seconds prior to starting.

http://www.slsc.org/WhatToDo/OMNIMAXTheater/RockyMountainExpress.aspx  full page takes approx 25 seconds to fill

http://usa.asus.com/  same

I did a fresh install of Google Chrome, it too loads these same pages slowly.  I tried MSIE8 with no add-ons, did not change anything.

Otherwise the computer runs just great.  XPSP3, all critical updates installed, MSIE8.  Computer is plugged into a port on the router.  My internet is Charter cable with 25Mb down and 3Mb up.

I have another older less powerful XP computer on same router, also plugged into a 10/100/1000 port on the router, this 2nd computer loads these page fine.  I replaced the router twice.  Current router, the 3rd, is a new Belkin N750 gigibit, also tried a new Netgear N600 gigabit router that I returned and exchanged for the Belkin.  both computers indicate they are connected at 1GB via network cable, to the router.  I tried each computer with the other off the router so there would be no issue of access.  I have run the MS IE fix it tools and reset MSIE8.

The reason I replaced the router twice is that when I plug the offending PC directly into the cable modem, it loads these slow pages OK.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Please give us the following information:

1. Type and speed of your CPU

2. Amount of RAM installed.

3. Size of hard drive and amount of free space.

4. Version Numbers of all of the following you have installed:
  • Adobe Flash
  • Adobe Reader
  • Java

5. Name of your antivirus program or suite.

6. History of antivirus programs (Did you EVER have McAfee or Norton on these? If so did you run their special removal tools?).

7. Results from these sites:

8. If you have not scanned with the free version of MBAM, please do so now (and post the results!):

9. Finally, do you have the problematic Windows Search 4.0 (KB940157) installed on the PC having the problems?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please give us the following information:

1. Type and speed of your CPU
A. 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, PRESCOTT

2. Amount of RAM installed.
A. 2 GB

3. Size of hard drive and amount of free space.
A. BOOT PARTITION 30 GB, 12 GB FREE, [SWAP FILE, TEMP FILES, CACHE ETC ON ANOTHER PARTITION]

4. Version Numbers of all of the following you have installed:
  • Adobe Flash
    A. 11,3,300,271 installed
  • Adobe Reader
    A. VER 10.1.4
  • Java
    A. You have Java installed (Version 7 Update 6).

5. Name of your antivirus program or suite.
A. AVAST FREE VER 7.0.1456, DEFS DATED 8/20/12

6. History of antivirus programs (Did you EVER have McAfee or Norton on these? If so did you run their special removal tools?).
A. NEVER USED McAFEE, HATE IT, USED NORTON SEVEAL YEARS AGO, YES DID RUN NORTON REMOVAL TOOL WHEN I REMOVED IT AT END OF SUBSCRIPTION.

7. Results from these sites:
MY SPEED RESULTS ARE ALWAYS HIGHER DURING THE DAY, TEST RAN AT 10:07 pm

A 14.28 Mbps DOWN; 2.26Mbps UP

A. 13.97Mbps DOWN;  2.77 Mbps UP

8. If you have not scanned with the free version of MBAM, please do so now (and post the results!):

A. SCANNED AFTER UPDATING TO LATEST VERSION, VERSION ON MY MACHINE WAS LAST UPDATED IN JULY, LOG FILE FOLLOWS

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org
Database version: v2012.08.21.01
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 FAT32
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Don :: CAPTTOY [administrator]
8/20/2012 10:14:32 PM
mbam-log-2012-08-20 (22-14-32).txt
Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 237060
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 4 second(s)
Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Detected: 0
Registry Keys Detected: 0
Registry Values Detected: 0
Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.
Folders Detected: 0
Files Detected: 0
(end)

9. Finally, do you have the problematic Windows Search 4.0 (KB940157) installed on the PC having the problems?
A. NO, I TRY TO KEEP CRAPWARE AT A MINIMUM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Daavee:

Whatever malwarebytes found and removed as shown in the log file, "(PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter)" was apparently not the culprit as after the removal I tried the slow sites using MSIE and Chrome, issue still present.

Thanks for your interest, time, and any assistance you are able to provide, successful or not.

Sincerely

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, you know your stuff. :-)

(Question: Is your pagefile on another PHYSICAL hard drive's partition? I ask because it is not recommended to move it to a different partition on the same drive.)

Was that a typo for Java? I'm pretty sure it should be Version 7, Update 5 (not 6). Mine says:

build 1.7.0_05-b06

I assume you manually install all your security patches. Please identify the most recent updates on your system.

There is a possibility that something with Avast Free (normally a great program!) might be amiss. You might want to try posting to their forum if nothing else seems to be the cause.

Check to see if your hard drive's controller mode slipped from DMA to PIO:

http://www.technize.com/2007/08/02/is-your-hard-disk-cddvd-drives-too-slow-while-copying/

and

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Finally, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Performance tab. What are the three values under Commit Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner: Total, Limit, and Peak? Also while in Task Manager, click the Processes tab. Click CPU twice so that the highest numbers are at the top. Identify the top five processes (as well as their values). Now do the same for MemUsage.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when I plug the offending PC directly into the cable modem, it loads these slow pages OK.

My apologies for overlooking that part, which seems VERY key!

I really think this is a NETWORKING issue. You'll get much better mileage here:

Good luck to you.

P.S. Feel free to post a link to this thread when you start your new thread over there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, you know your stuff. :-)  MAYBE TO A DEGREE, BUT THIS HAS ME STUMPED.  I AM RETIRED FROM BEING A DATA CENTER MANAGER FOR A MAJOR CORP.

(Question: Is your pagefile on another PHYSICAL hard drive's partition? I ask because it is not recommended to move it to a different partition on the same drive.)
A. page file is 2 GB in size on another partition on boot drive, it is the only file on this partition.  It has been this way since I built this pc back in 2005.  This pc is still fast and running great, except for this slow web page issue.  I read an article back then that this was the most effective way to set the swap file, it cannot fragment this way.  I just looked at the swap file, completely unfragemented. 
 [NOTE MY BOOT DRIVE IS A WD SATA RAPTOR, HOTTEST DRIVE ON THE MARKET IN 2005 WHEN I BUILD THIS PC.  DEVICE MGR SHOWS THIS DRIVE AS RUNNING ON AN "SIS 180 RAID CONTROLLER" WHERE IT IS THE ONLY DRIVE.]

Was that a typo for Java? I'm pretty sure it should be Version 7, Update 5 (not 6). Mine says: build 1.7.0_05-b06
A.  I have (Version 7 Update 6). So says http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
No idea where I got that other number, it was late.

I assume you manually install all your security patches. Please identify the most recent updates on your system.
A UNTIL TODAY, LAST TUESDAYS "PATCH TUESDAY' PATCHES WERE MOST RECENT, TODAY INSTALLED CUMULATIVE SECURITY UPDATE FOR MSIE8 [kb2722913]

There is a possibility that something with Avast Free (normally a great program!) might be amiss. You might want to try posting to their forum if nothing else seems to be the cause.
A.  I TURNED OFF/DISABLED AVAST & TESTED BACK IN JULY WHEN THIS PROBLEM FIRST SURFACED, MADE NO DIFFERENCE

Check to see if your hard drive's controller mode slipped from DMA to PIO:
A.  I HAD THIS HAPPEN A FEW YEARS AGO AND KNOW WHAT A SLOW DOWN THAT CREATES.  I JUST CHECKED IN DEVICE MGR, AND PRIMARY IDE HD CONTROLLER IS ULTRA DMA 5, I HAVE AN IDE DRIVE ON THIS CONTROLLER WHERE I BACKUP FILES.   SECONDARY [2 OPTICAL DRIVES; PLEXTOR BURNER & CDROM READER] IS ULTRA DMA 2
 [NOTE MY BOOT DRIVE IS A WD SATA RAPTOR, HOTTEST DRIVE ON THE MARKET IN 2005 WHEN I BUILD THIS PC.  DEVICE MGR SHOWS THIS DRIVE AS RUNNING ON AN "SIS 180 RAID CONTROLLER" WHERE IT IS THE ONLY DRIVE.]

http://www.technize.com/2007/08/02/is-your-hard-disk-cddvd-drives-too-slow-while-copying/

and

http://winhlp.com/node/10

ANSWERS BELOW IN BOLD

Finally, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Performance tab. What are the three values under Commit Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner: Total, 363944 Limit, 3990540 and Peak 1171800

Also while in Task Manager, click the Processes tab. Click CPU twice so that the highest numbers are at the top. Identify the top five processes (as well as their values).  IDLE  98; TASKMGR 01; IEXPLORE 01;

Now do the same for MemUsage. 

SVCHOST.EXE 34,736;  IEXPLORE.EXE 34,372;  EXPLORER 25,036;  IEXPLORE 22,520;  IPOINT.EXE 11,036

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when I plug the offending PC directly into the cable modem, it loads these slow pages OK.

My apologies for overlooking that part, which seems VERY key!

I really think this is a NETWORKING issue. You'll get much better mileage here:
A.  I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM ON THIS.  MY OTHER PC, ALSO XPSP3 WITH IE8, EVEN OLDER, WHEN PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER LOADS THE PROBLEM PAGES JUST FINE.  I CHECKED ALL THE CABLES, SWAPPING THEM AROUND TO SEE IF I HAD A BAD CABLE.  I STARTED OUT WITH AN OLDER LINKSYS G ROUTER, BOUGHT A NEW NETGEAR N600 GIGABIT ROUTER THAT CHANGED NOTHING, RETURNED AND EXCHANGED THAT NEW ROUTER FOR THE BELKIN N750 GIGABIT ROUTER CURRENTLY IN USE.  PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FEEL STRONGLY THAT I SHOUD REPOST NETWORKING?  I WISH I HAD A NETWORK CARD LAYING AROUND I COULD TRY AS PERHAPS THE ONBOARD CONTROLLER TOOK A HIT?  THE PC RENDERS 480i VIDEO AND BURNS DVD'S AS QUICKLY AS EVER.

Good luck to you.

P.S. Feel free to post a link to this thread when you start your new thread over there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A.  I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM ON THIS.  MY OTHER PC, ALSO XPSP3 WITH IE8, EVEN OLDER, WHEN PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER LOADS THE PROBLEM PAGES JUST FINE.  I CHECKED ALL THE CABLES, SWAPPING THEM AROUND TO SEE IF I HAD A BAD CABLE.  I STARTED OUT WITH AN OLDER LINKSYS G ROUTER, BOUGHT A NEW NETGEAR N600 GIGABIT ROUTER THAT CHANGED NOTHING, RETURNED AND EXCHANGED THAT NEW ROUTER FOR THE BELKIN N750 GIGABIT ROUTER CURRENTLY IN USE.  PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FEEL STRONGLY THAT I SHOUD REPOST NETWORKING?  I WISH I HAD A NETWORK CARD LAYING AROUND I COULD TRY AS PERHAPS THE ONBOARD CONTROLLER TOOK A HIT?  THE PC RENDERS 480i VIDEO AND BURNS DVD'S AS QUICKLY AS EVER.

I am stumped. It seems to be some kind of combination of your PC and that router that is causing your issue. I would normally lean toward your PC as the problem if it weren't for the fact it works just fine when the router is removed from the equation!

Yes, unless someone else has a better idea, I really think you will have a better chance for success in the networking forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have a solution, but can confirm that I have the same problem.

The issue seems to be PHP specific web pages.  I do a lot of work with Wordpress using 2 PC's, one with Win 7 the other WinXP SP3.  The WinXP can take 3 times longer to load a PHP page.  I've gone through most of the metrics above, with no solution yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 3,559 Applies to: