Windows Vista - Blank screen BEFORE login screen

I currently use a Toshiba that runs Windows Vista and I have recently has come across a problem where windows will not load.  It does not reach the login screen.  It gets to the screen where the windows loading bar appears, but before it gets to the screen asking for her password and user name the screen goes blank.  The mouse does not appear, the screen is just blank.  I have restarted the laptop in safemode and that works fine.

I have read through a lot of questions other people have that are similar describing a 'black screen of death' but i do not think that this is my problem since they are able to reach the login screen and their mouse is visible with their problem.  
I should mention that Service Pack 2 is installed and the laptop is Toshiba Satellite L305-S5921

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Method 1: Since it works in safe mode you can place the computer in clean boot, and see if it helps.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Note: Follow step 7 to reset the computer to start as usual after the clean boot process.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Method 2: Boot the computer in Last Known Good Configuration and see if the issue is resolved.

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)  (Windows Vista)   

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 523 Applies to: