Windows Updates, Edge, Cortana, Store not connecting to the internet. Cannot activate.

This is on a Dell Inspiron laptop (N5030). 

Windows 7 had a similar problem to the above connection (a red X appeared over the internet bar). VM301220-2G is our Virgin Media connection and shows up as “connected”.

However, at the bottom we get the message “Not connected – connections are available”. This anomaly did not give any serious problems under Windows 7 but under Windows 10 the message seems to make Windows Applications believe there is no internet connection when, in fact, there is since Chrome and several other programs requiring the internet work.

Due to this, I cannot activate Windows 10 since it believes there is no internet and doesn’t try to . Neither can I access Microsoft Edge, Cortana (Search) and the Store. Windows Updates do not work either. My HP desktop sees our Virgin Media connection without any trouble. I don’t even know if the problem is the Dell laptop, Windows 7 or Virgin Media .  

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi,

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing regarding this issue and also for the delay in getting back to you. Do not worry. Let me help you in fixing this issue.

It seems that fixing this internet connection issue should fix your remaining issues as well.

Do you use Proxy server?

If you have enabled proxy on the Computer, you'll not be able to connect to Microsoft Account. Hence, we suggest you to disable proxy on your Computer and check if it helps. Refer to the following steps to do the same:

1. To open Internet Options, type "inetcpl.cpl" in Run window which can be opened by pressing the Windows key and R key together.

2. You can do this underLAN Settings in Connections Tab under Internet Options.

3. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN". Also make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is checked.

Did you update the Network drivers after upgrading to Windows 10? If not, then I suggest that you do it through

Device Manager.

Let Windows try to help you fix the problem. In the search box on the taskbar, enter Network troubleshooter, then select Identify and repair network problems.

You may also visit the manufacturer's website to see if Windows 10 drivers are available or not. If available, you may download them and install.If Windows 10 drivers aren't available, then we suggest you to download the Windows 7/8 drivers to install them in the compatibility mode. Refer to the following article for help to do the same:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance regarding this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue. I am connected via ethernet and do not use a proxy. Network troubleshooter does not identify any issues. I have the latest drivers for my network adapter (killer e2200 gigabit ethernet) although I doubt this is the issue since Chrome and all other programs connect and work just fine. 

The issue seems to be related only to windows built-in features. App Store gives an exception code 0x80072EFD. Edge does not work because it thinks there is no internet connection.  I cannot use cortana, onedrive or other built-in apps that rely on Edge. Windows update works.

I upgraded from windows 10 from 8.1 (no clean install). I do not use any other AV software besides Windows Defender.

Any advice?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having similar issue on my Sony Vaio(VPCEB1E0E) laptop. Skype, Chrome works fine but none of the windows app connects to the internet. I do not use proxy.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Upgraded from Win8.1 pro.  EDGE browser will not pull up anything.  WindowsUpdate will not function.  Network Center says I am not connected to any networks...BUT if I use Chrome or Firefox, I have no issue getting to the internet.  It seems any OS-based functions are not working.  

Microsoft Win10 Chat has been no help - they say to call but that this IS a known problem and tech support can help.  After a few hours on hold, got someone and they forwarded me to another tech.  30 minutes later, I get connected, we open a help session and...dropped connection.

VERY frustrating that if this is a known issue, I cannot find any solution in the FAQ areas of Microsoft...holding out for some helpful online guidance at this point.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Worst Answer Ever. Obviously windows 10 shipped out as flawed as windows 2000, and the idea is we have to wipe our whole systems and reinstall. This is just dumb! There should be reinstall media for us that doesn't wipe our systems and just reruns the windows 10 install like xp used to do. Or is that to complicated for you all since bill gates left?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a Dumb Question to go with the dumb answer, others have this issue, a lot of others. It's a known bug in windows 10 according to tech support. Microsoft is working on it.

Well, so here is my dumb question, if edge, the store, windows updated and anything system related to you id doesn't work, how pray tell will you get the update that fixes this issue since windows update doesn't work?

any one? Any one?

yeah that's what I thought. 

So so if you thought my first comment was a little brutal there was a reason why. Dumb people shouldn't be working in high profile IT positions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2020 Views 1,201 Applies to: