Windows Update won't install critical patch KB4499164 on win7Pro

Three windows updates showed up yesterday May 14 2019 for me in windows update.  Two installed just fine, but this one major one keeps failing to install.
I just keep getting Failed to install after it all downloads fine, creates restore point, and goes to 'installing'... failed, error 80073701. 

I've tried everything- restarting a million times, downloaded and used the WindowsUpdate troubleshooter/repair program (it says it has 'fixed' the various problems, but the same problems show up in it again if I run the troubleshooter again immediately... so how is that 'fixing' it?),  I tried clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, disabling any antivirus, I downloaded the stand alone .msu file for the update KB4499164 and that won't install either- it runs through its thing completely and then says failed.  (BTW I did have the latest stack update from March applied successfully, 4490628).

This is supposed to be the CRITICAL security update, right?- to prevent a new wannacry-like malware attack?

I had three updates show up yesterday- the other two installed fine yesterday (which tells me my windows update 'can' work if it wants to), but this one KB4499164 just will NOT install.  I've tried over and over and i worked my way through the windows update troubleshooting page that goes through all the steps one by one, did them all but nothing helps.

I know this is supposed to be a really important security protection update...

Anyone else having this problem??

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

• Windows have launched a system update readiness tool KB947821 for windows 7. This tool is provided by windows to overcome inconsistency that was found in “windows servicing store” that may caused some errors in the installation of the future updates, software or service pack. This tool will fix the errors that might occur during the windows update. Initially, download and install this readiness tool KB947821 for windows 7.
  • Warning: even if took some time to scan your computer do not cancel the process, as the scan will be running in the background. Probably, this KB947821 tool will take 20 minutes to completely scan your computer for any potential thread that might cause problems with update shield. Rarely, it might take much longer for some system.
  • This KB947821 (system update readiness tool) solves multiple errors on your computer.

This Works on Windows 7, 2008 and 2008R2.

It fix my some server issue. Keep disable Antivirus. After this update install other update.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a different problem with KB4499164.

It (seems at least) install correctly but when PC restart PC is unusable.

WiFi works, but icon freeze with searching circle.

Windows explorer do not work correctly or at all.

Windows restore do not work.

GPS driver not loaded and not possible to update/upgrade.

Windows updates uninstall was not accessible.

And probably something else was not working, but I had not the time to test.

Then i wanted to shut down the PC but it locks saying the Shut down music was preventing the PC to shut down and was impossible to force the closure of the program.

I needed to hard off the pc pressing the PC button.

Restarted the PC I tried a system restore through F8 but was unsuccessful.

The I start the PC again through F8 in safe mode with network and then I was able to restore the PC to the state before this last update.

For the moment I deactivate auto update hoping this issues will be solved.

Point is that, at least for me, and I don't think I'm the only one, this update is unusable.

Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• Windows have launched a system update readiness tool KB947821 for windows 7. This tool is provided by windows to overcome inconsistency that was found in “windows servicing store” that may caused some errors in the installation of the future updates, software or service pack. This tool will fix the errors that might occur during the windows update. Initially, download and install this readiness tool KB947821 for windows 7....

It fix my some server issue. Keep disable Antivirus. After this update install other update.

Well I downloaded that KB947821 and tried to install it, but the windows gives me the message that this particular update is "not applicable to my computer".   

BTW windows defender put out a new update yesterday morning and my Windows Update was able to install that just fine with no problems.

I still get "failed" when I try to install KB4499164 on my win 7pro which has all other recommended updates installed.  Again, see my original post here at top of thread.  Tried both the standalone file and windows update about 100 times this week.  Did all the other recommendations as well.  No luck!     :(

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have EXACTLY the same problem and it pees me off when something Important as this doesn't work!!! :-( I  have Failure Code 80073712

Pete

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pete, I was just now on the phone for 40 minutes with a microsoft technician-  he was very knowledgeable and thorough, he tried a whole lot of fixes that I had not yet tried, but he was unable to fix it still.  BUT... he's having a higher level technician call me on the phone tomorrow (saturday) between noon and 2pm to try other things.   I have high hopes and was impressed with how much they are committed to help me.  I will report back here in this thread and update if anything new tomorrow or if they can fix it or explain it to me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's great I very much look forward to hearing how you got on! ☺️ THANKS! 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On Microsoft 'Contact us' Link I got there Virtual-Agent and explained about the 2 Failed Updates. I was given a link Download the troubleshooter it fixed some issues but not the one relating to Error Code 80072712! It did at last start to Download it, last time I looked got up to 10%. But it failed yet again 😕 

Pete

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I did all that, plus a dozen other things, 100 times..... will report back here tomorrow evening probably when I know more.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem. My error code is also 80073701. I have tried all of the previous suggestions many times. Hence I am very interested in the reply from the higher level Microsoft support person.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2020 Views 4,797 Applies to: