Question

Q: Windows Update Virus??

I was updating Windows and I got the usual "Restart your computer to finish installing updates." So, I complied and restarted my computer. Well, it got to 15% on stage 4 of 4 and it wouldn't go any further. One begins to lose patience after being stuck on 15% for 3 hours. I decided that it was safe to say that it had crashed. I knew what would happen if I pressed the power button. Again, what choice did I really have? I check that little blinking light that flashes when your computer is doing something. It was barely even dimly seldom blinking. I decided that it was stuck on idle. I rebooted my computer once in safe mode and it gave me an error. I think it was something like Critical Error: C000000000000000 or something like that. It would do just fine until it got to update 174 out of however many it was, and it would crash. Finally, after 6 hours of deciphering error codes, numerous reboots, 32 "System Startup Repair(s)" and hundreds of crashes, it's back. None of this became a problem until I installed Windows Update. Anyone else having this same problem?? 

SebeChristian,

I'm moving your question to the Windows Update forum where this belongs. It is not likely to have been due to be a virus.

You need to open Windows Update history and identify if there are any failed updates to start. Provide that information in your next reply and someone versed in Windows Update should be able to begin advising you.

-steve

^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

Hath thou not heard of the "Windows Update Virus"?
Computer knowledge expert. 7 years experience.

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

Reply In reply to deleted message

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hath thou not heard of the "Windows Update Virus"?

I have. You, however, stated that you were updating Windows.

I trust that you know what Windows Update looks like.

Your description is consistent with a Windows Update issue with a failed update.

-steve

^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

[removed]

You'll get better advice in the Windows Update topic area where I moved your original question and merged your new content. That advice for your suspicion of a virus and Windows Update will not come from me.

-steve

[removed]

^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, lots have problems, and sometimes it is down to an bad update. Generally, it is because an update is trying to install where Windows is slightly corrupted, or in the case of hardware updates (to be avoided unless specifically directed by the device manufacturer), where the driver being offered did not like the revision or version of the hardware in the machine.  
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone else having this same problem?           

Nope.

Help us help you: Start by reading this "sticky" post...

• What information to post in the Windows Update forum
       http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

Also see...

• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

PS: How did you "install Windows Update?"

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that everyone who comes to these sites is looking for help. It is ridiculous to get stuck reading a list of bashing comment back and forth between two people who both think they are right. If you don't like the solution you get from this site, then go to a different site. If you don't like comments a customer makes, then have the maturity not to respond and consider the source and forget about it. I don't care who has the longer "stick", I just need a solution to my computer problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

It's painful bro, it really is. Update it again. It's just really slow. If you are on a laptop, and assuming it's like mine, then there should be 5 little lights near the underside of it. Light 1 could be on or off depending on your laptop's power source. Light #2. idk what it is. Light 3 again depending on your laptop's power source. Anyways, skipping to the point. make sure that before you take action that the 4th light is dimly blinking. IF IT IS SOLID OR BRIGHTLY BLINKING, IT'S WORKING. IT MAY TAKE FOREVER BUT WHAT'S AN EXTRA HOUR OF YOUR TIME COMPARED TO LET'S SAY $100 OF YOUR MONEY?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have a wonderful day!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 14,403 Last updated: June 19, 2018 Applies to: