Windows update trying to install Windows 11 on unsupported PC

Why is my PC constantly trying to update to Windows 11 when the compatibility checker says it's unsupported? I have an i5 processor and it will not run Windows 11. This PC does not have secure-boot or whatever that thing is. I've had to totally disable any and all updates via a shell command because I'm terrified if I leave my PC unattended, it will try to install Windows 11 and brick my PC. I am disabled and can't afford food, rent is over 95% of my income, and the rest of my income pays for my prescription (No, health care is NOT free in Canada despite what the world thinks), so I surely cannot afford a new computer. My hydro is included in rent. My PC, internet, and software were all given to me by my children and they pay for my internet. They cannot afford to buy me a new PC either. Microsoft, please understand that a computer is a huge purchase that some people can't afford, so please try to acknowledge us! And lastly, is it possible to set my PC to get security updates now without fear of Windows 11 surreptitiously downloading and bricking the only PC I will ever own? Now I see why people fear the dreaded Microsoft updates/upgrades!

Hello, how are you?
My name is Paloma B., I am very happy to be able to try to help you in the best possible way.

I understand that you would like to block the Windows 11 update, but continue to receive Windows 10 updates.

However, if PC Health Check says there is no compatibility on your computer, the update should not be installed.

More you can do the procedure below to make sure.

You can do this by performing a registry setup on your Windows.

That way Windows Update won't install the Windows 11 version until you cancel the configuration to release receipt of that update.

You must first undo the Windows 11 upgrade to get back to Windows 10 version.

After that, please access the link below and follow the procedure.

It will help you with this configuration.

https://www.howtogeek.com/765377/how-to-block-t...

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

----------
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply. I did not allow the PC to upgrade to Windows 11. I managed to stop it as soon as I saw "Windows update installing Windows 11". I just was asking how to get security updates after I disallowed updates to prevent it from trying to install Windows 11 while I wasn't looking. And why did it start installing Windows 11 on an unsupported PC? Thank goodness I was right there to stop it or who knows if I would even have a working PC now. I have no bank info, no nothing personal on my PC so I guess I don't really need security. Thanks for the reply!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Really this is a bit strange as it should not install if the computer is incompatible.

But with the settings from the link I shared, you will normally receive updates, except for Windows 11, which will no longer be installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 1,309 Applies to: