Windows Update stuck at 0% during download. Tried most solutions given here.

Hello,

I am having trouble with Windows Update. Whenever I start it up it says I have 25 important updates and 2 optional ones. However, when I click on "Install updates", it just hangs on "Downloading updates" forever, stuck at 0%. My specs:

Computer: Dell Studio 1555 laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (preinstalled, genuine, verified etcetera)

AV: McAfee 2010, Anti-Virus and Firewall. Came preinstalled. Windows firewall disabled.

Windows Defender is turned off (I guess because of compatability with McAfee? It's not my laptop, so I'm not sure why)

I tried resetting windows update using this article suggested in other posts.

1. First time I tried the Fixit, wuauserv couldn't be stopped (it said "check permissions"). I tried right-clicking and running the .msi with admin rights, but I didn't see the option. Then I started cmd with admin rights and ran it from there, but still no luck.
  2. I then activated the administrator account and ran the MSI from there. This time BITS couldn't be stopped.
  3. I checked Services, both BITS and wuauserv were set to delayed automatic start (I'm not sure if this is the correct term, but this laptop is currently running in the Dutch language, so I have to translate). I set them to automatic and rebooted. Then I ran Fixit again, still no luck.
  4. Tried to register several dll's suggested in some posts. Some dlls could be registered, some couldn't.
  5. I then tried a suggestion by another user: disable both BITS and wuauserv, reboot, register some dll's (sorry, I can't find the post so I can't tell you exactly which ones they were), reboot and start Fixit. It will say BITS can't be stopped, so you have to turn BITS on by hand which I did and clicked "Retry". The Fixit finished fine this time, but it didn't fix Windows Update.

The problem seems to be that the Fixit can't get past disabling BITS and/or wuauserv. When it gave me an error, I quit and looked at the service which was at "Being closed down" (again, a translation from Dutch). Both BITS and wuauserv were stuck at that status. This also happened when I tried "net stop BITS" and "net stop wuauserv" through cmd, it tells me "The Windows Update could not be stopped."

I have now spent most of my Sunday trying to tackle this problem. Please help me. :(

Thanks in advance,

Qopzeep

Hi Qopzeep,

1.    Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

2.    Do you receive any error message when downloading the updates?

3.    Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

Method 1

In many cases security software installed on the computer conflicts with the downloading and installation of updates on the computer.

I would suggest that you temporary disable the security software on the computer and later try to install the updates and check if it works.

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Method 2

If the above step fails then run the Windows update troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Halima,

Thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. There have been no recent changes other than the installation of some minor software. Looking at the release date for each update reveals that the earliest update that couldn't be installed dates from 9 February 2010. That is basically

2. I don't receive any error messages whatsoever. The bar just moves as if it's downloading the update but it stays at 0%.

3. McAfee Anti-Virus and Firewall are installed on this computer.

Method 1

I disabled McAfee realtime scanning and firewall and tried to download the updates again. Unfortunately, it didn't help. The symptoms are still the same.

Method 2

I tried the troubleshooter. It coudn't find anything.

I have analyzed exactly what goes on and here is a list of symptoms.

• Windows update says it has found 22 new, important updates. When I click 'Download now', it seems to start (even the little tray balloon pops up). It says "Downloading updates" and the progress bar moves. However, it doesn't download the updates. It stays stuck at 0%.
  • BITS and wuauserv are set to 'Automatic (delayed start)'.
  • BITS can be stopped, but when I try to stop wuauerv it hangs at 'Being stopped'.
  • When I start wuauserv , I can stop it without problem. However, when I startwuauserv , then try to update via Windows Update & cancel it, and then try to stop wuauserv , it gives me an error 1053. It says it can't stop windows update service.

I hope this helps, thanks for your support so far. Sorry for my late reply, I only have access to this laptop every 1-2 weekends.

Regards,

Qopzeep

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Qopzeep,

I would suggest that you run SFC scan on the computer which would scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation CD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows Vista installation disk.

For more information refer the below link.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Halima S,

I have the same problem on a computer that runs windows viste

I tried the SFC /scannow option
it did not find any corruption of integrity.
still the bits service can be stopped
while the WUAUSERV cannot be stopped in order to try the fixit from MS

can you pleas try to help me further?

Greetings,
Rewie Somer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2021 Views 36,360 Applies to: