Windows Update Service stuck at disabled

For 3 days, Xbox game bar was not working, with error code 0x800007422 or something like that, which is error code "Windows Update Agent is turned off". I did some research and then found a post that said that it is nothing to worry about, it is just a problem in Xbox game bar that is happening with everyone recently, and the problem came from Microsoft. Later, when Xbox game bar was working again, I needed E-Books (school reasons) so I tried to install an app, but the Microsoft Store gave me the same error code as Xbox game bar. I did some research (AGAIN) but got nothing. I knew it had something to do with updates, so I opened Settings>Updates and Security>Check for Updates, to get a "Something went wrong, try reopening settings later". AFTER EVEN MORE (useless) RESEARCH, guess my search bar hated me and wouldn't turn on anymore, so guess what? YES! MORE RESEARCH! To discover that it had something to do with Windows Search Service being disabled. I turned it on (but it still doesn't work so please IF possible also give me the solution to that), and then wondered if there was something such as Windows Update Service, and turns out there was such a thing (lucky guess maybe) and it was turned off. I try turning it on but it instantly turns off right after that. I tried being fast enough to enable it and then start the service, but then it disabled and stopped. aFteR mOAre rESeArcH I ended up here since I found nothing. PLEASE HELP ME!

Update: My computer found two trojan viruses, which I deleted, but I feel like there is another since a LOT of symptoms are showing, like increased CPU usage, limited access, and when I ran a full scan I got two notifications at the same time. One saying that no new threats were found and one saying that a threat was found. I performed an offline scan, but when my computer turned back on, I was about to check the results when I got a "Your IT administrator (or something like that) has blocked you from viewing this data." THE VIRUS IS MESSING WITH MY PERMISSIONS AND EATING UP SERVICES ONE BY ONE! 

Update 2: I ended up performing a clean install of Windows. Backed up everything on USB stick AND OneDrive. It should work now. Still warning people I send emails to to scan the files (just in case) for the next week or so. John Dev, sorry for the waste of time.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello A curious kid,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with Windows update service. Did you made any changes recently? When was the last time your system was working properly?

It looks like something is interfering with Windows update service. Please try to temporary disable or uninstall your Antivirus or anti-malware programs and try to enable Windows update service again.

**Perform a Clean Boot
Determine whether a background program or a software conflict is interfering with windows update.

Go to the search box > type MSConfig.
Select System Configuration > go to the Services tab.
Select and put a check mark on "Hide all Microsoft services" > Click Disable all.
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there.
After you perform clean boot of Windows, Please try to enable Windows update service again.

Kindly check the support article below for more details
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello A curious kid,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with Windows update service. Did you made any changes recently? When was the last time your system was working properly?

It looks like something is interfering with Windows update service. Please try to temporary disable or uninstall your Antivirus or anti-malware programs and try to enable Windows update service again.

**Perform a Clean Boot
Determine whether a background program or a software conflict is interfering with windows update.

Go to the search box > type MSConfig.
Select System Configuration > go to the Services tab.
Select and put a check mark on "Hide all Microsoft services" > Click Disable all.
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there.
After you perform clean boot of Windows, Please try to enable Windows update service again.

Kindly check the support article below for more details
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Is it possible instead of turning off all services to just boot into safe mode? Or does it just disable unnecessary Drivers only?

Edit: Doesn't work

Unless I misunderstood "Disable all unnecessary services in task manager"

Did you just mean turn off startup apps?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Safe mode and clean boot is somehow the same. However, when you performed clean boot and it resolves the issue, you can re-enable the programs and services one-by-one. When an error occurs again, you’ll know it’s because of the last thing you re-enabled. In this way, you can determine the particular program interfering with windows update service.

You may try to check the thread below with similar problem. Fixed by performing Clean Boot.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Looking back at my previous reply, You need to try to temporary disable all unnecessary services or programs on the startup tab.

"Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there."

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Looking back at my previous reply, You need to try to temporary disable all unnecessary services or programs on the startup tab.

"Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there."

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Hi,

I was able to run the service, but turns out the problem did not come from there. After, again, more research (but this time in services.msc not the web) I found another service (Windows Update Medic Service" and Access was Denied. I tried setting the Administrator account as active to enable it, Access Denied. I tried running Command Prompt as Administrator and enabling it but it said that "The service is not recognized as an installed app or service" so guess now my laptop has corrupted system files. I'm gonna try to run a repair upgrade (which didn't work the first time) but this time in Clean Boot/Safe Mode. Hope that works. I'll keep you updated,

A curious kid.

BTW, I will not be able to do that soon because of online classes and stuff, so imma do it in the weekend.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Thank you for updating me that information. Kindly check if your Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. After that, Please try to start Windows Update Medic Service again.

If it doesn't work, Hopefully the Repair upgrade will fix all of the issues.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Thank you for updating me that information. Kindly check if your Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. After that, Please try to start Windows Update Medic Service again.

If it doesn't work, Hopefully the Repair upgrade will fix all of the issues.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Turns out it wasn't running. I turned it on but got the same thing when trying to run WUMS (Access Denied) so I'm gonna try activating it by cmd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Thank you for that information. You may need to consider performing a System Restore on an earlier date where everything was still working fine. Check if this will resolve the issue.

Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: rstrui.exe
Press Enter. This will open System Restore menu
Click the Next button.
Select the restore point that you want to use on your computer. You can check the box "Show more restore points"
Click Next then Finish

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

Thank you for that information. You may need to consider performing a System Restore on an earlier date where everything was still working fine. Check if this will resolve the issue.

Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: rstrui.exe
Press Enter. This will open System Restore menu
Click the Next button.
Select the restore point that you want to use on your computer. You can check the box "Show more restore points"
Click Next then Finish

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

The oldest restore point that I have is 2 days old, it will not do any good. I'll wait for the week-end and perform a repair upgrade. It's ok, I can wait.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello A curious kid,

If you have time to check, Please look for "StopUpdates10 guard" service in msconfig. I encountered other community members having the same problem while that particular service was enabled. If there's none, kindly update me after you perform a Repair upgrade. Thank you.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 26, 2022 Views 2,422 Applies to: