Windows update failure 0x80240020

Hi everybody, i just wanted to ask if there is fix for this bug or is it still unsolvable.

And before anyone starts to write that there are topic's like this i already know i read a lot of them and not even one gives solution to this problem. 90% of answers are other problems people have. I am asking if someone can help me with this.

Thank you in advance

P.S. Don't post any other problem that doesn't involve 0x80240020 error because i want there to be solutions only for this problem and so that other people who have this problem can solve it to. 

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

"This is an expected error message if the upgrade requires customer user action. For example, the message may be present if one or more applications or disk utilities that need to be uninstalled before upgrading. PCs seeing this error message will get instructions on how to fix this when they perform the upgrade.  We recommend waiting until your PC receives a notification to upgrade and then following the instructions provided."
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

"This is an expected error message if the upgrade requires customer user action. For example, the message may be present if one or more applications or disk utilities that need to be uninstalled before upgrading. PCs seeing this error message will get instructions on how to fix this when they perform the upgrade.  We recommend waiting until your PC receives a notification to upgrade and then following the instructions provided."

It doesn't work...

But thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2019 Views 124 Applies to: