Windows update error "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them...restart the computer"

Original Title:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{32be5ed2-5c86-480f-a914-0ff8885a1b3f}

For some time now I have been unable to update Windows Vista 64 Home Premium (PC shows the message: "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them...restart the computer").  I am also finding that the system files checker (scannow) does not work (the window shows an error message reading: "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete.").   No matter how many times I restart the PC, the results and messages for both issues remain unchanged.  When I am successful downloading an update, I often find it will not install and receive error code 80070BC9.   My HP IQ506 is set to download updates automatically, but never does.

I have used McAfee Security Suite Elite (AT&T U-verse provision) on this PC for over 2 years.  McAfee online technical support removed their product (including all registry entries) from my PC to determine if they were causing a 3rd party conflict.  They also did an in-depth review of my PC for infections using tools available to their Tech Support personnel.  No problems were found.  Based on Community recommendations, I have scanned for malware (Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware,etc) with no success.  I have used numerous MSFT tools and manually downloaded hotpatches (MSFT Fix It Center, Defender, Systems Update Readiness Tool - KB947821, etc.).  Only AFTER these system problems started, I downloaded and used certain 3rd party utilities such as Tweaking.com, C Cleaner, Wise Reg Cleaner, etc.

I have confirmed Windows  and related "services" are running (also restarted these services) and were set to "automatic" on the MSFT Console.  I am reasonably confident that there are no malicious "bugs" in the system.  I don't know if it is a coincidence, but these problems started right after MSFT did a number of "automatic" downloads a while ago.   

I have noted that some of the registry repair utilities, including Tweaking.com, all get "hung up" (loop?) at the same spot in the registry.  This registry location is shown in the Title above.  Since I am not registry proficient, I do not know if the repetition of WOW 6432 over 10 times at one location in the registry is an issue or not.  Nor am I sufficiently confident in my technical skills to attempt a registry repair without guidance. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Dottie

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dottie,

I can certainly understand the inconvenience which you are facing at the moment due to issues with Windows update. I appreciate the efforts which you have put to resolve the issue till now. We will work together and try to resolve the issue further.

As per the error message “Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them...restart the computer” or error code “80070BC9” during Windows update, it could be due to some other non-Microsoft application which is using the system files which are required while running Windows update.

Let’s place the computer in clean boot state and check if you are able to install the update.

You can follow the methods:

Method 1:

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

You can refer to the link to place the computer in clean boot state:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Follow the section “Windows 7 and Windows Vista

You can follow the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot” to check for the application or program that is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

If the issue still persists, you can move ahead with method 2.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to reset Windows update components and check if it helps.

You can refer to the link to reset the components:

How do I reset Windows Update components?”

Follow the section “Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, you can refer to the link:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/back-up-the-registry

Method 3:

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to rename the software distribution folder and check if it helps you to install the updates.

Follow the steps:

a) Open an administrative Command Prompt window.

b) Run the following commands and press Enter after each command:

Net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%

Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Net start wuauserv

c) Try to install updates again

As per the issue with the error message “There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete” while running SFC scan is concerned, I would suggest you to start Windows using Last Known Good Configuration and check if you still face the issue.

You can refer to the link to do so:

Using Last Known Good Configuration

Follow the section “How do I start the computer using Last Known Good Configuration?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/using-last-known-good-configuration

Please let us know about the status of this issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pinaki, Many thanks for your quick response.  I started yesterday's update of the MSFT Malicious Software Removal Tool (manual download) before seeing your note.  Removal Tool took 21 hours to complete, but found no problems.  Have previously done each of the 3 items you identified over the past several weeks, but with no luck.  However, will do each of them again today and post results.  Thanks again,  Dottie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pinaki, Thanks for your patience in guiding me through this MSFT issue.  Since it is my understanding that I must access the Internet to test/obtain Windows updates, I belatedly realized the MS 921935 procedure may not work for me.  On the SERVICES tab of the console, I was successful verifying that 3rd party vendors were not the cause of the update problem.  Likewise, none of the programs on the STARTUP tab caused a problem.  But, as I began the 3rd step of verifying MSFT programs on the SERVICES tab, I started receiving error code 8024001f (not connected to the Internet) when attempting to update.  Using different combinations of boxes between the STARTUP tab and "Hide all Microsoft services" on the SERVICES tab gave me different results (error code 8024001f, a green bar that didn't stop moving in the update window, no response at all, etc.).  Given the infinite number of combinations that exist for the options involved between the 2 tabs, I finally had to stop.  1) Besides accessing the Internet, is there something else I can do to verify whether windows update is working (or not) so I can implement MS 921935?.  2) Or, as an alternative, do you know if there is a list published by  MSFT identifying "Vista 64" services and startup options that must be left "on" in order to access an Internet connection during testing?  3) Or, another option I haven't considered?  Thanks again, Dottie    

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dottie,

Thank you for an update on this issue.

I would suggest you to ignore clean boot and perform Last Known Good Configuration to try and boot the computer into normal state. You can refer to the link as suggested earlier on the previous state to do so.

If the issue still persists, you can perform system restore to restore the computer to a point prior to the issue.

Refer to the link to restore the computer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/system-restore-frequently-asked-questions

Please let us know if the issue still persists. We will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Pinaki, I had already started your second recommendation (Method 2 - KB971058)) when I received your last note. All was going well until I got to step 6, reregister the BITS files/Windows updates. I received a message the first 2 files were "successful". However, when I entered the 3rd item (regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll), I received the following message: *The module "mshtml.dll was loaded but the entry point DIIRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that mshtml.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again." Since I did not know what to do with this message, I stopped all work on my Vista 64 PC and went to another computer to send you this note.  I am not sure how to fix this item, or whether to back up or go forward?  And if so, how??  Thanks again for all your help, Dottie     P.S.  I also have now loaded and used the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit.  The scan showed no root related infections.  It seems everything continues to point toward a corrupt registry that started when I received multiple MSFT downloads at one time a couple moths ago.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pinaki, I have now used the "Last Known  Good System Configuration" and "System Restore" tools.  Neither one fixed the Windows update or Scannow issue.  Unfortunately, System Restore only went back about 10 days because of all the work being done on the computer.  (I have 325GB of free space on Drive C.) The problem pre-dates the 10 days by many weeks.  At this time, the remaining open item is the Windows Update Component Reset (KB971058) and the "entry point DIIRegister Service" issue I experienced in attempting  to reregister the Bits files.  I was unable to proceed beyond that point.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dottie,

I would suggest you to perform upgrade installation for Windows Vista. Refer to the link:

Refer the section "To upgrade to Windows Vista"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/installing-and-reinstalling-windows-vista

Repair Install Disclaimer: Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the installation DVD. Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Please let us know if you have more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pinaki,

Actually HP had recommended I upgrade my Touchsmart IQ506 to Windows 7 from Vista 64 about 2 years ago.  It was a disaster.  HP support recommended and did the initial installation (under warranty), but they could not make Windows 7 work properly on this computer.  HP escalated the matter and the Case Manager determined my PC should never have been upgraded to Windows 7 in the first place...contrary to HP's initial advice.  (After extensive testing, the Case Manager found Windows 7 does not run properly on the HP IQ506.)   So, we had to start from scratch and reload Windows Vista 64.  My PC has run well for the past 2 years until the current series of MSFT updates I mentioned earlier. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Again Pinaki, Returning to my attempt to follow your earlier recommendation that I "Reset the Windows Update Components (KB971058)", does MSFT advise Vista users what to do if the customer is unable to reregister the Bit Files and receives the message, "The module 'mshtml.dll' was loaded but the entry point DIIRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that mshtml.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."? Thanks for your continued assistance.  Dottie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pinaki, Just wanted you to know that the Vista URL you provided actually connects to the MSFT Windows 7 upgrade installation.  As I noted earlier, HP Technical Support and HP Case Manager were unable to install and run Windows 7 on my PC.  Having had problems with Windows updates previously on this and other computers, I rather work to correct the problem as opposed to "kicking the can down the road".  Further, it's rather frustrating that MSFT Technical Support said they could solve this issue or would sell me a Windows 7 upgrade. Not sure why I should be paying $100 for a problem that coincidentally started immediately after multiple MSFT downloads? 

At any length, as I have done further work on this problem and discovered 2 things. 1)   The Distributed Transaction Coordinator in MSFT Services will NOT start.  I receive error code #1067 EVERY time I attempt a manual restart.  2) I discovered this DTC problem when attempting a DCOM verification on the dcomcnfg/component services/computers/my computer/default properties tab where "Default Authentication" and "Default Impersonation Level" have NO settings options listed.  The drop down boxes are blank.  (MSFT Community has indicated they should be set to "Connect" and "Identify" respectively.)  On the same Default Properties Tab, the computer will NOT allow me to check "Enable Distributed Com on the Computer", also as recommended by the Community.    I also receive a message, "error code 8004E00f - Com was unable to talk to the MSFT Ditributed Transaction Coordinator".

I have tried many things, but have been unsuccessful addressing these latter 2 items.  Any help would be appreciated.

Pinaki, it may be that the MSFT Community will want these last 2 items as part of a separate thread.  However, it seems clear that all of these events somehow relate to the Windows update and MSFT registry scanner (scannow) issues on this PC.  Where do you think I should start?

Thanks again, Dottie  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2021 Views 25,095 Applies to: