Windows Update Error 80080005

For several months now, any time I try to run Windows Update, I get an error code of 80080005, and it says that windows has encountered an unknown error and it just stops working.  I have tried cleaning my system of anything that might be bad: malware, spyware, viruses, etc., so I know that is not the issue.  I have tried several solutions found online, and none of them have worked either.

My computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit (SP1).

Thank you for any help that you can provide.  I cannot remember the last time I actually had updates for my computer, so I am sure it is way overdue for many updates.

Hi,

I would like to know some information about this issue, so that we could assist you further.

1. Have you connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard?

2. Have you tried checking for updates after restarting the computer?

3. Are you using any third party browser as your default web browser?

4. Are you getting this error code while checking for updates or while installing updates?

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it works for you.

Method 1:

If you are getting this error while installing updates, then try the steps provided in the following Microsoft Help article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Method 2:

Disable security software temporarily and then try to check for updates.

Disable antivirus software:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disable-antivirus-software#1TC=windows-7

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable security software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3:

Place the computer in Clean Boot state and check if the issue persists. Clean Boot will help you determine which third party program or app is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we could help you better.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have not connected any devices recently.

I have tried checking for updates immediately after rebooting, and get the same error.

I am not using any third party browsers, and do not have any installed on my computer. I am currently running IE9, and have tried to update to 10 and 11 and it will not let me.  I get messages saying I need to install the proper updates before I can update my browser.

I get this error when checking for updates.  I am unable to install any updates as this error prevents any from being available.

This error does not happen when trying to install updates, only when trying to run Windows Update and it is looking for updates.

I have already tried Method 2 and that does not help.

I just tried Method 3, with a clean boot, and I am still getting the same error. 

I was thinking that maybe I could re-install my windows 7, from the DVD I have, but not sure if that is the right solution, or how to do that without wiping everything out on my hard drive.

Any other help you migh have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 32-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Is KB2898785, KB2888505, KB2879017 KB2870699, KB2862772 or KB2846071 listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 45 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.9.900.170 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. Has IE10 or IE11 ever been offered to your computer via Windows Update?

8b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 551 Applies to: