Windows Update Error 800706BA

For the past three weeks, Windows Update has failed with a 800706BA Error. I've checked the following:

• I'm running the current (and updated) version of Norton Internet Security and have not seen any issues.
  • I've run SFC /scannow with no problem.
  • I've run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth with no problem.
  • I've run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and received a system error 1067.
  • When I check the Windows Update service, the status shows stopped and stays stopped when I try to restart it.

I'm running the following desktop:

• Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
  • Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you upgrade to Win8 or...?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It was an upgrade from Windows 7 Home but I choose not to keep any existing settings during the process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferablywithout quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the Win7 (64-bit?) computer?

1b. When (exact date, preferably) did you upgrade to Win8)?

1c. Was Win8 Release Preview (beta) ever installed?

2. What version of Norton Internet Security (NIS) is installed and when (exact date, preferably) does your current subscription expire?

3. Was NIS installed when you were running Win7?

4a. Has any other Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4b. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the Win7 computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are KB2809289, KB2807986; KB2781197, KB2797052, KB2778344, KB2799494, KB2790655, KB2789650, KB2789649 & KB2824670 all listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed and if so, was it already installed when you were still running Win7?

7. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner or Norton PC TuneUp; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

=======================================================
[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2020 Views 1,869 Applies to: