Windows Update Error 0x80240034 - Windows 10 Feature Update 1803

I'm unable to perform the Windows 10 Feature Update 1803 update. The downloading process is stuck at 100% and after sometime it fails giving an error code 0x80240034. There's no problem with my Internet connectivity & speed. I'm currently running 64 bit OS Pro with build 17134.345. I have performed an Update troubleshoot with administrative privileges which found Potential Windows Update error detected. I presume this is in the update and  only related to the update as wu10.diagcab reports this potential error and cures it by deleting update from my installation. When this eventually gets downloaded it will not provide a restart and install updates button and there seems no way to trigger the update to start.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Max, thanks for your question. I'm Graeme, a Microsoft Community expert and fellow user.

Usually with this kind of update issue I'd recommend the update troubleshooter, but since you've already tried that, the next step would be to manually reset the Windows Update components to see if it corrects the issue.

Here's a link to instructions to do that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/971058...

Give that a try, and let me know how you go! Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Max2thous10, version 1809 has been released, you should go straight to that version to bring your system up to date and make all previous updates obsolete . . .

With these major upgrades, the most successful method is to upgrade from the Windows 10 ISO - you download the ISO and then perform an Offline Upgrade

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), then choose ISO

When the ISO file completes downloading

Disconnect from the Internet

Temporarily disable any 3rd party Anti-virus you may have installed

Then, double click the ISO and then run Setup.exe to begin the upgrade . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is the update list:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Graeme , but is this not a bit major for a fault in the Feature Update that seems to have started from its original deploy in 4th October 2018.

You seem to want me to create a new user  and clear all network settings why is this necessary when it has worked before but not with this feature update.

I have been only given serious advise which will change my system further .

Why is Microsoft handing out incompatible updates? When I first noticed this problem Microsoft Updates  was installing the update but failing in the middle of it presumable because it had been written badly and appeared it was not checking for the existence of the item it was trying to update. I was told at this time to pause it and that Microsoft would fix it . This was in 4th October last year :

and then

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will just wipe my drive copy of windows. I am not happy to do that and have to reinstall everything again in a working O/S with a faulty update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Max2thous10

The option I provided above will not wipe your hard drive, it is just an offline upgrade, as long as you start that from inside Windows File Explorer

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Graeme , but is this not a bit major for a fault in the Feature Update that seems to have started from its original deploy in 4th October 2018.

You seem to want me to create a new user  and clear all network settings why is this necessary when it has worked before but not with this feature update.

I have been only given serious advise which will change my system further .

Why is Microsoft handing out incompatible updates? When I first noticed this problem Microsoft Updates  was installing the update but failing in the middle of it presumable because it had been written badly and appeared it was not checking for the existence of the item it was trying to update. I was told at this time to pause it and that Microsoft would fix it . This was in 4th October last year :

and then

Are you both suggesting in view of my post above that windows has somewhat changed since this roll out in 4th October 2018 was created. I have to suggest to you that nothing has been installed on my computer since 4th October 2018 and therefore it should repeat this same error of an undo of the installation unless the Feature update has been modified since 4th October 2018. If this was then modified why was it not brought inline with Windows Professional?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dave thanks for your advice. However the last time I ran Media Creation Tool it lost all my apps and messed with my data . Why do you feel it does not do this now. Why do I need to go this extreme route when MS has modded its own update since 4th October 2018 and not brought it inline with Windows Professional?

The only reason I can see for this different behavior on install is that the update has been correct or changed from the one issued 4th October 2018 which now brings this new addressed problem with the update downloading properly and no button made available to install it as an update.

It is quite silly to recommend a route as you suggest on a fully working operating system. The only item not working is the badly written update which appears to not be able to recognise what is installed without failing the update. I suggest that the removal of this button on my system is an indicator that MS is aware of this problem and has removed ability to install a broken update until it has time to fix it. I was told in October to pause the updates. Nothing has been fixed.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I spoke to a person on the help network who recommended navigating to C:>> Windows>> Software Distribution and deleting Software Distribution . Windows  could not perform this so we deleted Dowloads with in it and rebooted .

It has now started downloading again Feature update 1809  and its progressing the download.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I rebooted in safemode by pressing shift reboot going to advanced menu and getting into safemode . Much easier . I deleted the contents of C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution and rebooted. This then started downloading the Feature 1803 update again for Windows 10. Now I had nothing in this directory so the only reason of a failure would be the incompatible 1803 update with Windows 10 Professional. Now amazingly this machine is now updating and has currently got to 1809

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2020 Views 19,012 Applies to: