Question

Q: Windows Update Error 0x80070057

I have been struggling with this for some time now and finally decided to bring it to the forum.

I am running Windows 7 and my Automatic Update will not turn on. It gives me error 0x80070057. I have tried running several FixIt programs, and none of them will initialize. I have also run Security Essentials and Malwarebytes without finding any sign of a virus and without fixing the problem. I am not sure what the issue is. I haven't installed any new programs, so I thought it might be virus related. I am not sure where to go from here, and I am definitely appreciative of any help anyone can offer.

If you need more information about my machine, I would be happy to give it.

Thank you very much,

Ramo

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you so much for this post. My Hitachi laptop running Windows 7's hard drive crashed after experiencing similar problems. Fortunately I had just, 30 min before, back everything up. My Compaq running Vista is my back up and just wouldn't behave. You have saved me. This worked fantastically well for me. Very Very helpful. Thanks again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

As simple as that. It worked for me after many wasted hours.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same issue of not being able to backup my PC plus I was unable to get a system restore image. I finally resolved the System Image issue but still have the error 0x810000027. I ran your suggested DISM.exe and got an error 87 on both runs. 

When I search for that error on this form I end up back to this same post. It did not resolve my backup issue. What does that mean?

Sorry this didn't help.

These commands are not recognized by windows7 home premium. I can run windows update I do not get a fail hear. At least 20 to 30 percent will fail. I have also noticed when I install programs they will hang, but they will install. I ran Microsoft Fixit and always receive the same answer. 1.) Windows update error oX80070057 Not Fixed. 2.) Problem registration is missing or corrupt Fixed. 3.) Problem installing recent updates Fixed. I have done a clean install several times and get the same problem. This problem get worse over time.

Thanks Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

I had similar problems and tried the solutions listed, I came across the suggestion to run <<http://www.bleepingcomputer.>> this worked for me and my system is now running WU's withput any problems. I don't suggest that this will work for everyone but it did for me. I had tried most MS patches, and the suggestions of many helpful forum contributors all without success, I also downloaded recommended programs that aftre setting up and running them requested I pay a license fee to use their "fix all", these I deleted after doing further research on them. Thank-you to the Microsoft Community for providing the answer which worked for me.

This software (tweaking.com Windows Repair) worked great for me. I tried the Fix It tool repeatedly, as well as SFC and chkdsk... nothing worked. It was scary going with a 3rd party solution, but I did a Reg Backup and Sys Restore first. I ran the full repair, but you can just run the Windows Update portion. My old Vista machine is running better than it has in a couple of years now! Lot of good stuff at Bleeping Computer!  Thanks for the tip.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried a lot of solutions. Method 1 did the trick for me. BITS was not started. I went back to Update & available updates appeared immediately. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry this didn't help.

internet explorer > TOOLS > internet options > connections > click "setup"> browse the internet now 

Did not work for me but thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is ages late in this post, but Win Update has been slow recently, so I ran the Fixit modules, and they came up with win error 0x80070057. I found this answer and used Command Prompt to put DIS to work.

I didn't notice that there were spaces between each of the expressions, first go [using the T.V. - distance problem]. Doing it again, with spaces, it's running; slow, but running. I'm just hoping that BITS isn't permanently affected.

Bus_Pass Generation

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and I get error Code 80200053.

I would highly appreciate your advice how to fix it.

Many thanks Yair

Sorry this didn't help.

did all of you install windows 7?  we just found that windows 7 was installed to a corrupt partition and then gives windows update problems.  we're trying a clean install after deleting partition and creating a new one.  that  is what It says under the error code.  Pay attention and search for the error codes!  hope this helps and sorry everyone has gone through frustration;  we figure ours was corrupt for a long time as the computer never worked right from the start.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 73642 Last updated: February 12, 2018 Applies to: