The error code 0x80070005 is also described as ACCESS DENIED.
Please follow these instructions if you are encountering this error code when checking or installing updates via Windows Udpate.
To correct the problem, you can try the steps below. Keep in mind that these steps are still experimental. I look forward to your feedback and results. For the long term, we hope that we can create an automated solution for all.
1. Download and install SubInACL from the Microsoft Download Center http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=23510
2. Open Notepad (Click Start, type Notepad, and then press Enter)
3. Copy and paste the following text into Notepad
IF exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" set OSBIT=64
IF %OSBIT% == 64 set RUNNINGDIR=%ProgramFiles(x86)%
subinacl /subkeyreg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" /grant="nt service\trustedinstaller"=f
4. Close Notepad, and make sure you save it.
When you save the text, make sure that you set
Save as Type to “All Files (*.*)”. Very important! The file name needs end with .CMD. For example: fix.cmd. Lastly, when you save the file, make sure you save it at a location where it will be easy for you to find.
5. Right click on the file that you just saved in step #4, and select “Run as Adminstrator”
To confirm that you have the symptoms and to validate the problem, please see the below:
The following is applicable to Windows 7 and Windows Vista .
1. Download AccessChk (Sysinternals). This tool allows you to evaluate the access level of specific users or groups of resources including files, directories, Registry keys, global objects and Windows services. Here's the link to download the tool: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922.aspx
2. Save the zip file on your desktop, and extract the file:
- Right click on the file, and select Extract All...
- Click Next when prompted for the Destination.
As a result, you should see a folder called AccessChk on your desktop.
3. Open the folder AccessChk
4. Hold the shift-key and right click in the window. Select "Open Command Prompt Here"
5. A command prompt window should open with a similar prompt:
6. Type the following command, and press Enter:
accesschk.exe -s -n "nt service\trustedinstaller" -k "hklm\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" >accesskchk.txt
Tip: You should be able to copy and paste the command into the command prompt.
7. Close the Command Prompt Window. Open the Accesschk folder on yoru desktop (if it has been closed).
8. Double click on Accesschk.txt (the text file), this should open Notepad.
9. Copy and Paste your results with a new question on the Windows Update forum. (Make sure you write 0x80070005 in the subject line).
Kim N. L.
Microsoft Partner Technical Technical Lead