"Windows Update Encountered an Unknown Error" How can I get Windows updates to install?

My computer has not been updated for more than a month. When I run Windows Update, it shows that 16 updates, including those related to security and function, are ready to install. I tell it to go ahead and do so, and it simply tells me the updates were not installed with a worthless error message: "Windows Update Encountered an Unknown Error"

I ran MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.25268956865207935.1.1.Run.exe and it returned the message, "Repair Windows Update Components: Not Fixed" (another highly useful and informative Microsoft error message). Microsoft FixIt "Explore Additional Solutions" is an equally worthless Web page with no specific information whatsoever--only useless generalities.

I downloaded Windows6.1-KB947821-v22-x64.msu and ran that, and then restarted my computer, but that did not fix the problem either.

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2019 Views 21,222 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is the failure a download or install failure.

Try downloading individual updates.
Here are some notes that may help resolve problems encountered when installing Windows Updates.

The process of installing updates comprises downloading, installing and configuring the operating system to use the new updates. Some updates require the computer to be restarted and when this occurs configuring occurs as the system is shut down and is completed when the computer is restarted. It is important not to interrupt the configuration process as configuration involves making changes to the registry. If interrupted, the result can be a computer that will not boot.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

If you have a number of updates to install break the task of updating into two or more tasks. If you have been having problems with Windows Update run Disk CleanUp (or better still cCleaner) and Disk Defragmenter ( or better still Defraggler) before installing any large download.

If the measures above fail to resolve your problem select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, View Update History and post the Failure Code and Update reference number to the Windows Update Forum at Microsoft Answers.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your original thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/is-there-a-way-to-disable-windows-7-from-shutting/487bf3a2-06bf-4746-b0a3-728bb2b9f545
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread is not related to Windows 7 shutting down.

Sorry this didn't help.

But it's the same computer so...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't understand from this how to actually install the updates. "Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts" doesn't even get started. The "Windows Update troubleshooter" is absolutely worthless, it does not fix the problem and does not explain why--it just says it didn't do the job.

Sorry this didn't help.

REPOSTING...

Roll up your sleeves, cross your fingers & try the following fix:

ACTIONS

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference.   IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session!  If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. [1]

5. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

6a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

6b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the "Windows Update troubleshooter" pop-up! - then...

6c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [2]

7. Reboot one last time then test by running a manual check for updates & seeing if all security updates offered (e.g., KB2722913, KB2705219, KB2712808 & KB2731847) will successfully install now; follow all prompts.

• HOW TO run a manual check for updates
     http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date

8. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

===============================================================
[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert Firefox as your default if you wish.

[2]  Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

When I did the first step (tried to print the instructions) my computer locked up, and I had to turn the power off and restart. This led to a BSOD, and another when it restarted after that (thus reinforcing my perception of Microsoft Windows).

I was finally able to regain control of my computer after doing a system restore to August 5 (even though it told me the files had not been restored). I reinstalled Malwarebytes, but I got another system lock-up when I uninstalled the older version of Java and tried to install the new one. I am now at the point where the new version has been installed.

It looks like I now spend more time every day fighting with Windows to regain control of my computer than I do in productive work--an observation I have made clear on Amazon.com and CNET.

I'm almost afraid to try the above procedure for fear of again causing my computer to shut down. In fact: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/45744 and https://community.mcafee.com/thread/31934

In all cases, though, the problem (system lock up) seems to occur when I do something related to the file system--e.g. send an E-mail, or try to start a program.

Sorry this didn't help.

Basically, I hit a brick wall whenever I try to follow Microsoft's "helpful" guidance. It said I needed to turn on Windows security; when I went to do so, it said simply that it wouldn't start. It also recommended installation of KB2506014 (a security update). After fighting with Microsoft's Web site to get the update,* I tried to run it only to get "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

* When I ran the validation tool, GenuineCheck.exe, it returned a message to the effect that it was "no longer supported." I finally got a validation via Internet Explorer but had to download the update through Firefox because IE did nothing when I clicked on the download link.

Sorry this didn't help.

You should not press the Power button to resolve a system lock or to shut down the computer. Click on the Orb in the bottom left of the Desktop and select Shutdown. If you encounter problems shutting down then select Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager and click on the Applications tab. Place the cursor on a running application to select it and click on the End Task button. As the application is removed from the list repeat the procedure on the next application in the list until all are gone from the list. You should then be able to shut down your computer.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to use the power button because the computer did not respond to mouse clicks on the Orb button, alt-ctl-delete, or anything else from the mouse or keyboard.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.