/Windows update destroyed my computer, how do I recover from this?

Last night I restarted to let Windows update do its thing.  It was updating for a long time and when I came back it was on the "choose an option" recovery screen.  I've tried all the easy option to no avail:

- Use another operating system shows two other windows 10 (the one it wants to use is called rollback for some reason), and they boot sort of normally, but request a password.  I have no password since I always used a pin.  "I forgot my password" results in an error about unable to connect to profsvc (or something like that).  The internet is X'd out at the lower right and shows no options to connect.  If it's my Microsoft password, I don't know it.  I went and reset it on another computer, which in hindsight was dumb due to the no internet thing.

- Troubleshoot:Reset this PC:  "There was a problem resetting your pc. no changes were made"

- Troubleshoot:System restore: I have no restore points

- Startup repair doesn't do anything

- Go back to the previous version: "We ran into a problem and won't be able to go back to the previous version"

And so on.  I'm completely stuck.  I don't want to lose my files, but I don't even know how to completely start from scratch if I needed to.  Any help appreciated.

Unfortunately, you will have to perform a new install. This appears to be a serious bug many are encountering with the new version of Windows 10.

I am going to recommend you downgrade to Windows 10 1703.

Yes, not the best news you want to hear. These feature updates are not thoroughly engineered and are rushed mostly to meet deadlines. They have become highly unnecessary in some instances. My opinion, focus on the apps and less on having the latest version of Windows. If your apps are working fine and you are getting your work done, minimize your need to jump on the latest release.

Now, get ready to go back to your previous version. I recommend Windows 10 1703 because its the most stable and efficient release to date.

Step 1: Go to another working computer with Internet access, download Windows 10 1703 from the following link:
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Choose the following:

- Windows Final
- Windows 10, version 1703
- Windows 10 Pro + Home
- English
- x64 (64 bit) x32 (32 bit)

Step 2: create a bootable copy
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Step 3: perform a custom install
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Step 4: how to recover your files from Windows.old:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1803, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Spring Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Windows Update might attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 1803 again. See instructions how to block it:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, this is widely reported currently and there is no known fix except to do a clean install or a Reset or wait until MS comes up with a workaround.
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/05/what-i...
Disclaimer:
This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Some people report Disabling Virtualization in BIOS or running Startup repair a couple of times worked.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I follow this will I end up being asked for a key or something to activate the software?  This machine was upgraded from Win7, so I have no key or anything like that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  I forgot to ask.  Does the new install entail erasing all my files, or is it like a "reset"?  Since this is a software problem, I think my files are intact if I had a means to get at them.  Taking out the hard drive and putting it in a USB enclosure would be a last resort, but hopefully there are easier options.

Oh yeah, can you confirm that the password it wants is my Microsoft account password, the last one it was aware of anyway?  If I can guess that, am I good to go?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you perform a custom install, your files will be archived to the Windows.old folder where you can recover them.

I recommend you first setup with a local account first, then sign into your Microsoft Account after.

Your Microsoft Account password should be same as it is now:

Open Start > Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click sign in with a Microsoft account instead

Enter the email address of the account you want to use
Click Next
Enter your Microsoft Account password
Enter the current Local account password used to sign into the account
Click Next and you should be signed in with the new account.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2021 Views 2,213 Applies to: