Windows took around 30GB from my hard drive from unknown reasons

I just made a clean installation of Win10 (2 weeks ago) , so I remember to had a that time around 80GB of free space. Then, after some install utilities. I left Windows with 70GB (With all the updates from the system, and even run Disk Cleanup). Now I have 34GB left , so I don't know what the heck happened, or maybe is just a bug with indexing. Anyway HELP!

Hi Paulo

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you will instantly see where this space is being used

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

To run TreeSize, right click its icon and choose Run as Administrator . . .

Please provide a screenshot of your C drive in that TreeSize utility so I may find where that extra space is being used and the underlying problem . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Paulo

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you will instantly see where this space is being used

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

To run TreeSize, right click its icon and choose Run as Administrator . . .

Please provide a screenshot of your C drive in that TreeSize utility so I may find where that extra space is being used and the underlying problem . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Already done this, and the results aren't conclusive , as I said, I don't knowif it is a bug or something , because I checked the total space I had after installing everything, I could expect a pair more of GB , but 30GB from nothing , it's quite strange

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paulo

The System Volume Information (System Restore) folder is 24.2GB, that is very big and should be reduced to 5 or 6GB

The Windows folder is normal size, ProgramData is 11GB that is very large for the amount of apps you have installed, look into that folder to see what is taking all that space

From the folders I see on your hard drive, did you use Dell media t perform the install or did you just reset Windows 10?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paulo

The System Volume Information (System Restore) folder is 24.2GB, that is very big and should be reduced to 5 or 6GB

The Windows folder is normal size, ProgramData is 11GB that is very large for the amount of apps you have installed, look into that folder to see what is taking all that space

From the folders I see on your hard drive, did you use Dell media t perform the install or did you just reset Windows 10?

I just reset Windows 10, and I'm thinking of doing a clean install again, but if you know anything helpful you can say me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paulo

A clean install using a Windows 10 USB would be much better than a reset or Dell factory reset, that would give you a lean and clean Windows 10 installation. . .

You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media by pressing F12 on the Dell logo screen

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paulo

A clean install using a Windows 10 USB would be much better than a reset or Dell factory reset, that would give you a lean and clean Windows 10 installation. . .

You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media by pressing F12 on the Dell logo screen

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues
ok, thanks , bc today is with 28GB , and really it don't have any kind of sense, I will try it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 5,245 Applies to: