Windows Store error codes 0x80072EE2 and 0x8000FFFF on Windows 10

Original Title: Windows Store error codes 0x80072EE2 and 0x8000FFFF

I've been having a bunch of problems related to internet connectivity for a select number of Windows 10 apps (see here). Today, things got worse with the Windows Store itself now reporting error codes 0x80072EE2 and 0x8000FFFF throughout the afternoon on two devices - a desktop and a Surface Pro 3. The funny thing is that the Store is obviously not down since app updates still work consistently and even app installs do work intermittently. Additionally, Movies & TV and Music sections are still up and running with not a single stumble. Windows Update also works fine.

To add to this, the affected desktop is still having problems with apps like MSN News, MSN Weather, MSN Sport, and the new Facebook app completely failing to go online, with the latter citing DNS lookup failure as the cause even though my internet connection is fine. In fact, I can access the web version of these services through my browsers just fine even though the apps are dead.

The Surface Pro 3 unit affected by the Windows Store issue does not have any of this connectivity issue for the apps themselves.

Also, I have tested both devices on two separate internet connections - different ISPs. Both are free of malware and only have a Chrome extension for ad blocking.

Something's going seriously wrong with Windows Store app connectivity and if this doesn't go away soon, I think I'm done with the platform entirely.

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231149

Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

Windows Update Error Codes
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_7-update/windows-update-error-codes/bd72b821-05bf-4efd-bea1-b0be08fffe54
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. Are you using any third party antivirus security software on the PC?
  2. Are you using Wired or Wi-Fi internet connection?
  3. Did you check if similar issue persists on another user account?

The above issue may occur if Store cache is full, use of proxy internet settings or corrupted user profile.

Method 1: Reset the store cache by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Resetting Windows store will clear, and empty the cache without changing account settings or deleting the installed apps. It is usually located in the %SYSTEM% folder in the PC.

1. Open Run command by pressing Windows Key + R.
  2. Type wsreset.exe and press Enter.
  3. Open Windows Store and check if the app can now be installed/purchased on your device.

Method 2: If the issue persists, disable proxy settings by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved. 

1. Press Windows key + R keys on the keyboard, type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
  2. Click on Connections tab and then click on LAN settings.
  3. Uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN option.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Close the window open Windows Store and check if the changes are effective.

Method 3: Create another administrator user account by referring to Set up accounts on Windows 10 article and check if similar issue persists.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just ran the troubleshooter and got this:

For the time being, I can access the Windows Store... but I also had intermittent periods of relatively smooth access before running this troubleshooter too. The problems with other Windows Store apps still persist.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To answer your questions:

1. The desktop uses Panda Antivirus Free 2016. The Surface Pro 3 just has Windows Defender.

2. Desktop uses wired connection, Surface on Wi-Fi.

3. Not yet, will try this.

I've already tried methods 1 and 2 as well as the use of netsh/winhttp to force copy a no-proxy config into the system. Didn't change things at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Select the keyboard shortcut Win+X, and click Command Prompt (Admin) on the drop down menu. Type cd\ and press ENTER. Type ensuring spaces are inserted as indicated and press the ENTER key after each line:
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S

REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

Exit

Please restart your computerand run the Windows Update Troubleshooter again:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.Restart your computer; allow 30 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Done all the command line stuff. Troubleshooter still reports the same issue but Windows Store access appears to be back to what it was - instant loading and no error codes.

Weather / MSN News / MSN Sport / Facebook / Messenger / Twitter apps are still completely dead on the desktop for me though. As in they start but never ever connect to anything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Please reply, did you check if similar issue persists on another user account?

If haven’t tried, create another administrator user account by referring to Set up accounts on Windows 10 article to check if the issue is due to corrupted user profile.

If the issue persists, perform In-place upgrade by downloading and installing Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool and check if the issue is resolved. Select Keep all the apps and files option to retain the apps you have downloaded and saved files & folders on your PC.

An In-place upgrade is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system. It is the upgrade performed on the same version/edition of the operating system to repair the damaged files or to restore the lost files of the operating system.

Note Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Follow the steps below to perform In-place upgrade:

a.     Copy the Windows 10 ISO image onto a bootable media and insert the same on the computer.

b.    Click on the .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Refer to the link below on How to download official Windows 10 ISO files:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried setting up another user account.

Store access remains stable since the .dll re-registration trick, but Weather / News / Sports apps et al remain completely broken even on the new account.

Is the in-place upgrade my only option now? Is there any explanation why certain apps can suddenly lose the ability to see my perfectly functional internet connection?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

I would like to let you know that a repair installation is the simple process of installing a new build over the existing installation of Windows, using the installation DVD or USB. This repair process replaces broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

Cheers.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 7,274 Applies to: