Question

Q: Windows startup repair module: Result: failed. Error code = 0x45d

I have Win 7 x64 running on an MSI G41-M7 mobo, E2220 processor, 500G HDD, 4G RAM. It was running great until 4 days ago (11.04.24) when I shut it down in the PM. It installed a patch at that time. When I booted next morning, it worked for a while (5 minutes or so), then the mouse and keyboard were locked out, while the HDD was chattering away. I needed to use the machine, so I killed the power (mistake) and rebooted in safe mode. It did the same thing there (froze after a few minutes), and after a half hour it rebooted, but didn't find the boot drive. After powering down, I managed to get it to boot to safe mode and did a system restore to the pre-update state. After this, it booted fine normally, and I was able to use it all day. Then, on powering down, it installed an update (presumably the one I restored from), shut itself down, and I have not been able to boot it since. It'll start to boot, sit there with the little whirling donut for 20 or so minutes, attempt a re-boot, and won't find the boot drive. Startup repair gives the above message, even when run from the installation disk.

Answer

A:

Chkdsk found no valid Windows partition. Bootrec found no valid Windows installation. I managed to boot with a ubantu boot disk and found the whole directory tree, so was able to recover my files. I'll just have to re-install everything from scratch. Not too bad...I just got that machine up and running a week prior, so didn't have a lot on it that wasn't on my old XP machine (which I'm using now).

I wasn't able to identify the update that installed just prior to the crash.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Hi,

·          Do you remember the update which was installed prior to this issue?

Step 1: Run Check disk for checking any disk errors.
You may run a Checkdisk /F /R to repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors from the Command prompt in System Recovery Options menu.

a.     Insert the installation disc.

b.      Restart your computer.

c.     Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer.

d.     Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

e.     Click Repair your computer.

f.       Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

g.     On the System Recovery Options menu, click Command prompt.

Note: When you run the checkdisk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running checkdisk.

h.     At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

i.      Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

j.      Close all applications, and then restart the computer

Step 2: If not try these

“How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows’: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 6,519 Last updated: June 30, 2018 Applies to: