Windows Security's virus and threat protection keeps turning off

Hello.

I have just installed the update April 14, 2020 - KB4549951, then this problem appears. After turning on my PC about 5 minutes, the Virus and Threat Protection automatically turned off, and it demands restarting the service. I went to Windows Security settings > Virus and Threat protection, it says "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now." I then clicked "Restart now", but it kept running forever and nothing happened. Restarting the PC makes it on again, but just after 5 minutes it's automatically off. What should I do? Please help me, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Nhiet

Hello Nhiet,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I understand you're having having problem with Windows Security's virus and threat protection after installing a recent update.

Restore Your System to an Earlier Restore Point
Open Start.
Search for Create a restore point
Click the System Restore button.
Click the Next button.
Select the restore point that you want to use on your computer.
Click the Next button.
Click the Finish button.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-...

If it doesn't work try to uninstall KB4549951
Win+I then search Windows Update Settings
View Update history, Select Uninstall updates
Select KB4549951 then Uninstall
Click 'Yes' on the confirmation box to uninstall the update.
A reboot may be required to finish the process.

Then proceed to pause updates until a fix is release
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/402823...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Nhiet,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I understand you're having having problem with Windows Security's virus and threat protection after installing a recent update.

Open Start.
Click the Next button.
Click the Next button.
Click the Finish button.

If it doesn't work try to uninstall KB4549951
Win+I then search Windows Update Settings
View Update history, Select Uninstall updates
Select KB4549951 then Uninstall
Click 'Yes' on the confirmation box to uninstall the update.
A reboot may be required to finish the process.

Then proceed to pause updates until a fix is release
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/402823...

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Hello John DeV,

Thank you for suggesting me solutions. I will try uninstalling the Update. Also I have went to the Event viewer > Windows logs > Security and record my screen showing details about Audit failure events. Should I report this and where should I post it or I can just leave it to the experts?

Regards,

Nhiet

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nhiet,

Thank you for updating me that information. Please try to uninstall the update first and let's see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't you can try to post here.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh no, something's bad is happening.

I uninstalled the update, but the problem still persists. In the Audit Failure logs, they are repeated so generally these 3 files are broken

Should I reinstall windows? I don't think I want to touch anything within system32

Regards,

Nhiet

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nhiet,

Thank you for updating me that information. I'm sorry it didn't resolve the issue.
Do you have any antivirus or anti-malware software installed?
Please try do a System Restore first to an earlier date before this issue happened

Open Start.
Click the Next button.
Click the Next button.
Click the Finish button.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[To all other users, for the solutions please look at the bottom of this comment]

Hello John DeV,

Sorry for the late reply. After looking at the restore points, I had a feeling that it wouldn't work, so I went straight for the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and reinstall Windows 10 (through the Update Windows 10 option). After reinstallation with all personal files and apps preserved, everything is back to normal, but the problem still appeared. But I knew that there are some drivers that need to be installed through Windows Update every time Windows 10 is reinstalled, so I opened windows update, let it do the job then restart the PC. Now everything is truly normal as it should always be. Thank you for helping me! 

Regards,

Nhiet

My solution: Reinstall Windows 10 through Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. After reinstallation, Windows-update everything then restart.

John DeV's proposed solution: Use windows' system restore points

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nhiet,

Thank you for updating me that information. Glad to hear that your issue was resolved.
Thank you for providing the solution you did. This will greatly help other people facing this kind of problem. Have a great day!

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nhiet

a french user complains he has a similar problem. I have seen your post, and an other one in this "American" forum: "Virus & Threat protection are disabled after windows Update April 14, 2020—KB4549951"

My feeling is that your problem is not due to KB4459951, but to an upgrade of Windows Defender...

Yesterday, more or less at the same time as release of KB4459951, Microsoft has updated Windows Defender:

- in Windows Defender parameters, you can probably see your antivirus version is 1.313.1638.0

Previously, you probably had 1.313.1585.0

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\SecHealthUI.exe is probably

dated april 15th, but not at the same time as KB4549951.

Obviously, this does not solve your problem, but it probably means this problem will not be solved by a new KB...

I have no idea how to uninstall this Windows Defender upgrade..., 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Michel.D

After reading your comment, I went straight to the windows update and checked for update. There was indeed a Windows Defender update, and I immediately paused the Update. After unpausing and rechecking for updates, no new updates were informed. So I thought that maybe I was too late, the update might have already been installed. I restarted my PC. Then I checked for Updates, nothing new. I watched closely the Virus and Threat protection loading. After a while it became green, nothing happened, everything was normal. So I guess now I'm totally happy.

For the ones seeking help, I think you can advise them to reinstall windows 10 through the media creation tool, after that go to Windows Update to Update and restart, then PAUSE the update. For some reasons the first update after reinstalling windows 10 have nothing to do with Windows Defender.

Regards,

Nhiet

Update:

I just checked the version again and see that I'm having version 1.313.1668.0, maybe it's a hot fix form Microsoft

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft has just released new Antivirus/Antispyware definition whose version is 1.313.1687.0 that fixes the issue.

Windows 10 users can check what version of Windows Defender is being used by checking this guide.

Users can manually update the Windows Defender definitions by going to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection and then clicking on the 'Check for updates' link.

Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-defender-broken-by-recent-updates-how-to-fix/

If not available in Windows Security go to Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates.

~bhringer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 8,557 Applies to: