Windows Security skipped 1 file, how can I see what it was?

I scan my computer with Windows Security frequently-- usually once a day. About once a week I'll do a full scan, and maybe once every other week I'll do an offline scan, but for daily scans I do quick scan.

Tonight I did a quick scan and in Notifications it says that Windows Security skipped 1 file due to my exclusions or network settings, something like that. It's never skipped a file before, and I haven't set any exclusions-- in fact, when I go to the screen for exclusions there are no exclusions showing.

I want to know which file was skipped, because I want to be sure there's nothing suspicious going on, but I can't see any place to list any files that were excluded. Is there a way to list the excluded file(s)?

I did a second quick scan and got the same message.

I did an offline scan and didn't see any messages.

I'm doing a full scan now to see if it shows the message.

If I haven't set any exclusions, what other reasons might it have for excluding a file? And how can I see which file was skipped? What's especially puzzling is that I've never seen it skip a file before.

EDIT -- Full scan completed and shows the same message in Notifications: "The Windows Defender Antivirus scan skipped an item due to exclusion or network scanning settings." But I haven't changed any settings, I have no exclusions set, and this is a private home network. If this is perfectly okay then that's fine, but it's never skipped any items before tonight, and I just want to know what item was skipped so I'll know whether or not I've got a possible problem.

* Moved from Win 10/Security

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2020 Views 3,584 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello to you all,

I don't usually comment on websites like these, but this recent issue with Windows Defender Antivirus really cost me so much time chasing my tail trying to work out what was going on.

Anyway, I have recently searched manually for updates for Windows 10 and the following two files were downloaded and installed today:

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.313.24.0)

Update for Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.2003.8)

After re-starting my laptop (don't ask me why I did it), I straight away carried out a quick scan of my laptop using Windows Defender Antivirus and the problem with the notification of "Item skipped during scan" had gone.

I wish you all luck after downloading the updates and hope you have the same outcome as I did.

Cheers from Australia!

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.