Windows Search Indexer consumes all available memory, never finishes, and is perpetually "Starting" in Services

Windows Search Indexer seems to be broken. While it's starting up, it quickly consumes all available memory, about 50MB/s of RAM, occasionally releasing some, but never going below 3GB once it's above that. I left it running for 12 hours and it didn't finish whatever it was trying to do. Further, in the Services tool, it is labeled perpetually "Starting", and doesn't give me the option to stop it. The only way I've found to undo it is to End it from the Task Manager. While it's doing this, it's using about 1% CPU and all of my Disk.

I want to be clear. Unlike most problems involving the Indexer, the problem is NOT it's CPU usage, the problem is it's RAM usage.

The Search and Indexing Troubleshooter can't find any problems. I don't want to disable the service, I want to fix it. I've already run "sfc /scannow" twice, it didn't find anything.

Edit: Of course, it stopped the moment I posted this. It now shows zero usage of anything, and is listed as "Running". Still though, if anyone has any idea of what was happening, please explain.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2020 Views 267 Applies to:
Hi JTDotzler

My name is Sarah Kong and I am an independent adviser that is here to try and help you with your issue.

I would leave it for now and monitor it for the next few days.
if it happens again then my recommendation is to a repair upgrade.
This will not wipe data or apps but refresh your image in hopes of fixing your issue.
See link by Andre on how to do a repair upgrade if you need it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.