Windows screen locks after login

After a recent Windows 10 Update, one user account goes to screen lock a second or so after login. It remains logged in; I see that it is shown as "Signed in" when I log in as another user.

Some facts:

1. I disabled screen save for that user, via these instructions:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/185348/how-to-change-the-logon-screen-saver-in-windows

But the problem persists.

2. I changed  that user to be a Standard user, and the problem persists.

3. I created another user, and the new user login works OK -- no problem.

4. I don't want to delete the account with a problem because the desktop is configured with various tools that I find useful (although I am making them available on the new user account, it is a tedious process.

How can I stop this lockscreen problem?

Hi Steven,

You might be experiencing this issue due to a corrupted user profile. Even though it is tedious migrating all the tools on the new account, it might be best to switch to a new profile.

Nevertheless, corrupted system files can cause these issues that you are experiencing. In line with this, we suggest that you use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe) to check and repair your Windows installation. For the steps on how to use these tools, kindly refer to the following link: System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.

Additionally, you may also refer to the workaround provided by Seth Wilson in the following thread: Windows Lock Screen After Login.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform an in-place upgrade . By performing an in-place upgrade, you will clean up the system which may help resolve some troubles with the system. You may refer to the following article for steps on how to do it: How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide.

Let us know how it goes so we can assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Steven,

You might be experiencing this issue due to a corrupted user profile. Even though it is tedious migrating all the tools on the new account, it might be best to switch to a new profile.

Nevertheless, corrupted system files can cause these issues that you are experiencing. In line with this, we suggest that you use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe) to check and repair your Windows installation. For the steps on how to use these tools, kindly refer to the following link: System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.

Additionally, you may also refer to the workaround provided by Seth Wilson in the following thread: Windows Lock Screen After Login.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform an in-place upgrade . By performing an in-place upgrade, you will clean up the system which may help resolve some troubles with the system. You may refer to the following article for steps on how to do it: How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide.

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful reply.

I will try the suggestions.

Is there is some prevention that I could do? Or "Best Practices?" I do place more on my desktop than most other users. I use both the task bar, Start panel, and short cut son the desktop.

I thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us. Let us know if the suggestions work. Additionally, here are some tips or best practices to help make your Windows 10 installation run better: Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10.

To check if a startup or background program is causing this issue, let's perform a clean boot. When you start your computer in a clean boot state, it starts by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This troubleshooting method is designed to isolate a performance problem. After you have finished troubleshooting, you may refer to the Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section to reset the computer to start normally.

We also highly encourage you to post this issue and your experience on the Feedback Hub to increase visibility and awareness. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. For more information about the Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2023 Views 5,657 Applies to: