Windows Pro 10 Digital License Activation Issues

I had purchased the license in 2019 from the online store as the full $200 retail package. During that time I had moved computers a few times with no issues. But recently I changed hardware again and this time windows is refusing to activate. I started the fresh windows installation signed into my Microsoft account that was used to purchase the retail copy of pro, but still the issue persisted. I used the Troubleshooter to no avail. The order I placed did not come with a product key, so I'm out of luck there.

I've been on call with customer support 3 or 4 times now and none of them have solved my problem, with two of them outright either hanging up on me before we even started or outright lying to me about having technical difficulties asking me to hang up the call with the promise of a call back that never came. I've browsed posts online to see if anyone else had this problem and had a fix for it, but what may have worked for them has not worked for me.

Just to note I have tried the method with using: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

And get this error:

I've used the troubleshooter and gone through the steps, as I've done in the past, and still nothing. At times I get an error about being unable to reach the servers, other times Microsoft is unable to find any devices linked to my account to reactivate my current device. Which in the last case, I had the previous machines which had windows pro 10 installed and activated/deactivated shown to me, but it does not allow me to select those devices. I say had, because one customer support tech told me to remove those devices and try to add the serial number of the motherboard as a new device. That of course did not work, and the "add device" option did not recognize the serial number.

This has been a week in the making, and every so often I try the troubleshooter again to see if it's a server issue, but everyday is the same thing. I've signed in and out of my Microsoft account in a vain attempt to maybe solve the problem. And I'm able to get the computer linked to my account with it saying there are no issues with the device, but still windows is not activated.

So I honestly have no idea what to do next. It's frustrating having a problem you can't solve, it's made worse when the people who are there to help you are unreliable and unable to do so. Any help at all is much appreciated.

As an addendum, the copy of windows I used to install comes straight from the installation media tool from the website.

Hi Blaise,
My name is Igor, I'm Independent Advisor. I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

How many times did you change hardware? Unfortunately Microsoft may block a product key after using at 5 different computers.

Seems you need to call Microsoft support during work hours and ask a help from support person. (Yes, I've read about your attempts but I suppose no one else may help you.)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/405170...

P.S. Please note, digital license is valid only for unchanged hardware and need to be renewed by ordinary activation with product key after PC replacement.

P.P.S. What is the error when you use your product key?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Igor,

Thank you for the quick reply, I was unaware of the product key having a limit. I'm almost positive that that is more than likely the reason as to why I'm having this issue. As for the product key, I never received one. This was purchased from OneStore as it says on the order info, and the email receipt that I received after purchasing the digital retail copy did not come with an activation key of any kind, nor can I find one attached to the order in order history.

Again thank you for the quick response, knowing now that there was the potential for it being blocked after 5 different reactivations lightens the frustration.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry but seems I misunderstand something. Full retail package means a box, an USB installation drive and a card with product key. Did you bought a retail box or license with electronic delivery?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought windows 10 pro from the online Microsoft store. There was no physical copy sent to me or anything like that. It was just a digital purchase from the online store, to which I understand it as being tied to my Microsoft account. As that is how I was able to activate it on the previous devices that I no longer own. Once again I did not receive a product key of any kind. I apologize for any confusing wording on my part.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I understood. Try to talk with Microsoft support, I wish you good luck!
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2021 Views 60 Applies to: