Windows PowerShell 1.0--can I delete it?

A month ago I found Windows POwerShell 1.0 in my Start menu. I know I didn't download and install this directly, although some program that I use might have installed this.  Can I uninstall it safely? I assume that it some program doesn't work, I can always download it and install it again. Or is this something incredibly crucial to Windows itself? 

MS Office 2010 Windows XP SP3

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2020 Views 29,159 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi prpr,

Yes, you can uninstall Windows PowerShell if you don’t use it and also, can download and install it later if you feel you need it.

Microsoft Windows PowerShell is a new command-line shell and scripting language that is designed for system administration and automation. Windows PowerShell lets IT professionals and developers control and automate the administration of Windows and applications. Also, Windows PowerShell is built on the Microsoft .NET Framework.

Steps to uninstall Windows PowerShell 1.0:

a. Click the Start menu and select the "RUN" option. This will cause a new dialog box to pop up on your screen.

b. Type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes) into the textbox and click the "Run" button--or hit "Enter" on your keyboard. This will bring up the "Add/Remove Programs" dialog box.

c. Click the "Show Updates" button located at the top of the new dialog box.

d. Scroll down the list of programs to the entry for "Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0".

e. Click the entry, and then click the "Remove" button. Follow the instructions in the new dialog box to completely remove PowerShell from your system.

For more information:

How to Download Windows PowerShell 1.0

Windows PowerShell 1.0 English Language Installation Packages for Windows Server 2003 and for Windows XP

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Y – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.