Windows piling up Temporary Folder files until disk is full

Something is creating massive data use in my temp folder: \AppData\Local\Temp   It fills up until there is no space on the computer (usually has 20g free, then uses it all). Takes about 2-4 hrs for this to happen. Has started since I ipdated to Creators on a Win 10 Home, 64bit system. Now shows: V.  1703, OS Build 15063.138

The temp folder only shows in Win Explorer a few files and most are empty. But under properties it will show 31.3 G, only 2 hrs after deleting all temp files and that folder showing only 25.1 mb.

Logging is off in Outlook 2016, although Win puts a Outlook Logging directory that contains a 64kb file. Also has a ExchangePerflog...  .dat file.

Don't recognize the other files/folders, but looking through them they don't add up to 32 g. At one point the directoyr had a bunch of Word and Excel files that seemed to be template files that I don't use. Very strange here. 

Any thoughts on what is causing this? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Go All apps, Windows Administrative, Disk Cleanup.
Make sure you clean up the System files.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tks for your suggestion. I have run "Disk Cleanup for Windows C:" w/ all items checked and clicking on "Clean up system files" button, and several times. Have also searched %temp% and deleted anything that comes up with. 

It still rebuilds temp file / disk space afterwards.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Last night I ran Disk Cleanup and a couple disk scans, as well as security scans (Defender and Malwarebytes)  To isolate if Office/ Outlook was causing the problem, I did not run any Office programs. These directories filled up regardless so it's not Office causing it.

After disk cleanup, there were no temp files, yet now these two directories are showing 11g each: 

- \Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache   <-- which shows 5g in Explorer properties but 11g in Disk Cleanup

and 

- C:\WINDOWS\Offline Web Pages  <-- which shows 0 bytes in Explorer properties but 11g in Disk Cleanup

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It sounds like the cause of this issue is related to some updates or programs installed on your PC. We would like to ask some questions to know the best possible resolution to offer:

• When did the issue start?
  • Did you make any changes on your PC before the issue started?
  • Have you tried restarting your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to start Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers?
  • Have you tried performing a clean bootto start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs? This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.
  • Have you tried running the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files?

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your attention to this. The problem started after updating to Continuim approx. Apr 24. 

I ran system file checker and had no issues, then went through start up programs and processes and was able unto identify the culprit. 

So I took the hard medicine and did a full system refresh w/ clean install. And... the problem continues

So now I may rollback to V. 1607, but we'll see. It's not a virus, so I'm okay dealing w/ it if Storage Sense actually works by cleaning up the temp file usage automatically. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I isolated the problem to the Bose SoundTouch 10 app. When not launched, the problem does not occur. When launched, Windows starts recreating thousands (60,000+) copies of album art and storing them in the Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache in separate randomly named folders. Each image has a distinct name (example, WMP00be96ba-a37a-4b32-8051-506b0855e307.jpg) and not two have the same name, although it is repeatedly processing copies of the same album art images.

Bose support says that the SoundTouch app is not creating these files, although it is triggering something in Windows that does start making these endless copies in the cache.

Bose says this is an issue that MS can address that they cannot.  Any thoughts? 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
FYI, Bose replicated this problem w/ Creator's Update but again affirms that it's a Windows thing not the SoundTouch app. Hoping that the full launch of Creators in the Fall will resolve these types of issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

This issue could be related to corrupted system files. 

We suggest that you update your Windows 10 version, either gradually or directly to its latest version. You can refer to the link below for the available Windows 10 versions. 

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, but had you read the above more carefully you would have realized that this issue was 1) following clean upgrade to Creators; 2) replicated on a second machine, also w/ clean upgrade to Creators; and 3) sfc/scans, clean boots, etc. were all performed. 

Next suggestion? 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Based on the information that you've provided on your previous posts, there is a possibility that there is an issue with the system file of the application. We suggest that you keep the application up-to-date.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 52,847 Applies to: