Windows Periodic Scanner says I have 2 Antiviruses?

Hello, recently windows keeps popping notifications up on my desktop saying "Windows Defender Periodic Scanning is on" but this notification comes up several times a day which is pretty annoying. It also says at the end "you're also using another antivirus program for active protection" but I've never installed another antivirus onto my PC so not sure why it is saying that?

If someone can help figure out why my PC thinks it has 2 antivirus and why it seems to keep needing to tell me that defender scanning is on?

Thanks in advance =)

Hi, I’m Nicole, an independent advisor and a Windows user like you. I’ll be happy to help you out today.

I will try my best to assist you with this so that you find a satisfactory solution.

Are you using a desktop or laptop?

When you bought the system, did Windows is pre-installed in the system?

Most of the time when Windows is pre-installed on new devices, there are included 3rd party anti-virus.

This also might be caused by malware or virus. Try to do a clean boot and check if the issue will persist.

A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

- In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.

- On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.

- Under Startup in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.

- Close Task Manager.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you restart the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

troubleshooting reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...

Thank you,

Nicole

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please post screenshots of the following:

1) Open Windows Security → Virus & Threat Protection → "Manage Providers" (windowsdefender://providers/).

2) Open Windows Security → Virus & Threat Protection → "Manage settings"

Then, download defender_diag.bat and run it as administrator.

The Batch file queries Defender-related settings/Policies and outputs the results to a log file. Upload this log to your OneDrive and share the link here.

(Note: Before uploading the log to your OneDrive, edit the defender.log file and remove your MSA ID if found.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 1,171 Applies to: