Windows password vs. Microsoft Account Password

Totally confused.  After I setup a new local user and logged in with it, I tried to log in to my Microsoft account (under settings/accounts) where it says "log in with your Microsoft account instead." I input my Microsoft account login and password, clicked okay,  then a box popped up that asked for my old Windows password one last time then it would allow me to log in with my Microsoft account password next time.  [This is an attempt to try to get the apps to work when I login with my Microsoft account. As it stands now the start menu and apps do not function if I log in initially with my Microsoft account. Thought I might try the backdoor approach]

Not quite sure what Microsoft means by "Old windows Password"?  So I input the same Microsoft Account password I used in the previous login box  and it wasn't recognized.  Still confused,  I input the password from the user local account. Still not recognized.  Now more confused than ever, I decided to change my Microsoft account password to see if that made a difference.  Again, no recognition. Just can't seem to get past the confusing box that says "To make sure it's really you, we'll need your current Windows password one last time. Next time you sign into Windows you'll use your Microsoft account password.

If you don't have a Windows password, just leave the box blank and select Next."

Notice that inside the password input box it reads "Old Password".  What "Old Password" is Microsoft talking about? If I leave that box blank, click next (after all, it says if you don't have a Windows password just leave the box blank and select next" I still get the message that my "old" password is not recognized.  What "old" password??? My gosh, can it get anymore confusing? 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is asking for your local account password.  It is a bit confusing.  I do not think this will solve your Start menu and App problem but hopefully the major updates scheduled soon will.  There are some fixes that have worked to get Start and Apps to work, but scheduled major update claims to have addressed this issue also.
"Honestly, I try to learn from my mistakes so please be patient. finite1>0?infinite0>1"BRCjr

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

By Old Password it means the Password that you use to Sign In to Windows when you logged on to Windows as a Local User before you went down the path to Log On with a Microsoft Account.  It is seeking the Password that you have been using for the past several days, and longer.  Incidentally, previously did you do an Automatic Logon or do you type the Password in every time?

Make sure you are typing it correctly too.  Try the On Screen Keyboard, or another Keyboard if you have one.

Introducing Windows 8: Should You Use a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?
http://www.7tutorials.com/introducing-windows-8-should-you-use-local-account-or-microsoft-account

HTG Explains: Microsoft Accounts vs. Local Accounts in Windows 8
http://www.howtogeek.com/121975/htg-explains-microsoft-accounts-vs.-local-accounts-in-windows-8/

What happens if you create and test with another Windows user rather than your current user?  Do you then still have problems with Apps and Start Menu.  It might help if you explained that problem in more detail too if you want help there.  Perhaps there is some error message you can share with us?

Create a user account Windows 8.1 or 10
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8  

See "Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps"

Apps & Store Help
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/apps-store

How to Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)
http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

[FIX] Your Start Menu Isn’t Working. We’ll Try To Fix It The Next Time You Sign In.
http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-start-menu-isnt-working-windows-10

Critical Error. Your Start Menu isn't working
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/critical-error-your-start-menu-isnt-working/58e09ea1-c2b8-4241-b453-f7f70e4560db#LastReply

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. Tried most of the things you mention. Ran another local user, half of the apps worked the others were dead. Tried what I think was the original windows login password.  It didn't work either.  Now my shiny new Dell  XPS8900's i7 Intel is grinding big time to churn the data. Everything is slowing down. Believe me, after 12 hours of trouble shooting desperation sets in.  I tried to "reset this PC". It sputtered up to 32%, gagged, jumped to 44% and spit out a message that something was preventing the reset and no action was taken.  Plan tomorrow to backup files then whip Win10 back to the beginning and start all over, if that's even possible.  I've had the computer a whole week and so far, so bad. Big believer in Windows 10 after several months of smooth sailing on my Surface Pro 3. Got a Dell tech on the phone in Bangladesh and she told me they were awfully busy and to call back in 24 hours. Sweet smell of support.  Having better luck with MS but still no answers to the start menu/app issue. Odd that the system works with a local user and not a Microsoft account user. Baffling.  
If it moves, photograph it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is asking for your local account password.  It is a bit confusing.  I do not think this will solve your Start menu and App problem but hopefully the major updates scheduled soon will.  There are some fixes that have worked to get Start and Apps to work, but scheduled major update claims to have addressed this issue also.

Thanks.  Figured that out finally but the login from the "page of confusion" still won't work.  The start menu/app issue is driving me to the bottle.  Hopefully tomorrow (after I back up some files) I can rocket Win 10 back to the beginning and start all over. Luckily moved many files to a big Xdrive and the cloud early on.  Dell XPS8900 a week old deserves better than this.  Still a big Win10 fan after several flawless months on my Surface Pro 3 and a whole week of flawless performance on the 8900. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was having very similar issues myself. There are quite few threads out there spanning 5 or more pages. The most common solution to this was one that Linney already offered just a few posts above, and that being left clicking the ease of access icon located to the bottom right of your lock screen, turning on the On Screen Keyboard, then typing out your pass on that.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps your machine would have benefitted from a Clean Install of Windows 10?  That way it would not have to carry across the excess baggage from earlier Windows.

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-i-clean-re-install-windows-10-after-upgrading/f59fb5bd-21a5-4010-8a39-7b975611b73b

Reset Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

Refresh Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions.  Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update. Since the computer is a new desktop Dell XPS8900 that arrived a little more than a week ago with Win 10 installed I phoned up Dell technical support this morning for over an hour to try to resolve the ongoing start menu/Cortana issue.  In the meantime the computer had slowed to a crawl and the apps continued to be nonfunctional.  The technician and I were unable to reset the machine from the recovery partition. Stopped at 55%. With the technician's help jumped through a few other technical software exams after the reset failure, some of which also failed. Hardware scans all came up with no issues.  Dell decided to expedite to me a utility disk to reinstall Windows 10 (clean install). Should arrive here Tuesday with follow up support from Dell.  Surprised Dell doesn't send along utility disks with desktop deliveries anymore. $$ savings most likely.  Still have the Vista utility disk that came with my former XPS720.  Think I'll have it bronzed.  If the clean install doesn't work back to Dell with the machine! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us know how it all turns out.  I hope it is a positive outcome for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks..will do. 

Keep your fingers crossed!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bad hard drive says Dell technical support.  Dell is sending a new 2TB hard drive with Win10 preinstalled. Had a Dell technician on the phone and the new XPS 8900 wouldn't boot to the Win 10 utility disk that arrived this afternoon. A local technician will follow to install in 3-5 business days.  Cross your fingers again.  Glad I'm retired. This is time consuming.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 8,976 Applies to: