Windows not transferring digital license

I recently just built a new PC. On my previous PC, I had an activated version of Windows 10 Pro. I transferred my storage over to this new PC. I'm aware that large changes in hardware require you to reactivate Windows, but as far as I can tell, I should be able to transfer my license.

In the Activation section of Settings on my old PC (which I checked just yesterday), I confirmed that the status of my activation was "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." On this new PC, however, Windows does not activate even with my account signed in.

I get this error code on the activation screen, and this result from the troubleshooter, even when connected to the internet.

I tried to contact support, but there's no option for anything Windows-activation-related on microsoft's website, and the get help app tried to run some automatic diagnostics and then ended up sending me to a support article.

Would love to know how to fix this, thanks!

Good Day WubzyGD,

My name is Carlo, I am also using Windows 10 pc and community member like you.

In your old computer, what is the license you have before, does it came pre-installed or you purchase the license separately?

-If you purchase the license separately do you have the product key?

I'll look forward for your response so that I can provide an accurate recommendation.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

Sincerely,
Carlo T.
*This is a public forum and I do not work for Microsoft nor do I have access to any user accounts. To protect your privacy, do not post any personal information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unless you previously physically purchased that win version from MS it cannot be installed on a new PC

Win supplied pre-installed by the PC maker is an OEM version licensed for the original PC only

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2022 Views 19 Applies to: