Windows not activated after changing hardware??

Hi, I recently changed some hardware in my computer and now it says my Windows 10 isn't activated. When I go through with the troubleshooting process to re-activate the computer I receive an error message. Stating "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later". Is there any way to solve this?

Windows was fine before i changed the motherboard, when i go on my devices it shows multiple of my current system, the

old one and this new one.

Hi, PandatDawn

My name is Kathleen and I am an Independent Advisor. I would be happy to help you today.

When installing Windows 10, the digital license associates itself with your device's hardware. So, if you make significant changes, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows will no longer find a license that matches your computer.

Here’s how to prepare Windows 10 for activation before you make any significant hardware changes. If you didn't prepare before the hardware change, we also provide the steps to help you reactivate Windows 10.
Check these links, I hope it helps.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Let us know if these steps help you to resolve the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I recently changed some hardware in my computer and now it says my Windows 10 isn't activated. When I go through with the troubleshooting process to re-activate the computer I receive an error message. Stating "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later". Is there any way to solve this?

Windows was fine before i changed the motherboard, when i go on my devices it shows multiple of my current system, the

old one and this new one.

Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/we-cant-reactivate-windows-on-this-device-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Activation depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

Run the activation troubleshooter on the new device using the below steps:
Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter. and select I recently changed hardware on this device.

(Please note that Activation troubleshooter requires you to have digital license linked to Microsoft Account.)

If the troubleshooter hasn't helped, you can get in touch of an agent using the link below who can help you to get your copy activated:
https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

Please let us know if you need any assistance.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i recently changed some hardware and when i try to reactivate windows it doesnt work

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, i recently changed my mbo and cant reactivate windows 10. 

Troubleshoot find windowa 10 home licence but i have win 10 pro.

Error 0x803fa067

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2021 Views 152 Applies to: