WIndows Media Player Cannot Play Midi Files

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510 running Windows 10, which I bought a few months ago. I've noticed a problem whenever I try to play a midi file on Windows Media Player. Whenever I attempt to play the file I get an error message with the following text:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

For context, the files which I'm trying to play are some Midi files on Wikipedia which are examples of various musical intervals (Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Perfect_octave_on_C.mid). These files worked perfectly fine on my previous laptop, which ran Windows 7.

To double check to make sure it was a problem on my end, and not the files, I tried to play one of the built in midi files located in C:\Windows\Media. This resulted in the exact same error message.

I assume that I'm missing the proper driver to play these files, but I don't know which driver I would need to install, or how to properly install it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

The error message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." can be due to an outdated, incompatible or damaged sound card driver. To resolve this issue, follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the audio troubleshooter

The Audio troubleshooter is an automated tool which can find and automatically fix some common issues with audio.

1. On the Start menu type troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting.
  2. On Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio playback.

Method 2: Update the latest Drivers for Sound card

1. On Start menu, enter Device Manager and select it from the list of results
  2. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card.
  3. Select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

Update us on the results.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried both methods. The first one didn't seem to have any affect on the problem, and the second told me all my Sound drivers are up to date.

Speaking of Audio, I figure I might as well tell you what my audio drivers are:

• Conexant SmartAudio HD
  • Intel(R) Display Audio
  • NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Again, all of these are up to date.

So far, the problem persists.

Regards,

Charlie.

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstall the current audio drivers, restart the computer and download the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website to check if the issue is resolved.

Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer’s website and check if it helps. Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
  3. Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
  4. Download the latest Audio driver setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

For more information on how to troubleshoot sound problems, check this article.

Update us with the results so we can help you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, sorry for the late response.

First, I want to clarify that it is only .midi files which do not work. File formats such as .mp3, .wav, .mp4, etc all work fine. The audio plays correctly and I notice no issues with those files. Only .midi gives me the error.

I already checked to see if the drivers needed to be updated, and that did not solve the issue. I have serious reservations about that being the source of the issue, especially since other files are working fine, and I'd assume a problem with audio drivers would cause more widespread audio issues. Furthermore, I'd prefer not to uninstall sound drivers unless I absolutely have to, because I do not want to risk losing all audio output.

I believe the issue may stem from a specific default driver for playing .midi files not being present for some reason. Many people on other websites have been directed to troubleshoot these drivers, but I could find no such drivers on my computer. From my understanding, they should be present by default. Either it was corrupted in some way or it is totally missing.

Could you help either locate and fix this driver or re-download it if it's for some reason not present? Alternatively, if you are absolutely certain it's a problem with one of my current drivers, please point me to the correct websites and steps for replacing them.

Thanks,

Charlie.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It's been a few weeks since I last posted here and I still have not gotten an adequate response. Please point me to what drivers might be missing or corrupted so as to be causing an issue only with midi files.

Regards,

Charlie.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2020 Views 4,733 Applies to: